Jim

Default Doorbell buzzes as it rings

My doorbell buzzes at the same time it ding dongs. It only buzzes as
long as the button is being pushed. What is up?
Jeff Wisnia

Jim wrote:
My doorbell buzzes at the same time it ding dongs. It only buzzes as
long as the button is being pushed. What is up?

The solenoid coil which drive the chime "bonker" typically runs on 24
volt AC current.

It sounds like maybe the hole in the solenoid which the bonker slides in
may have gotten worn to the point where the bomker can rattle around and
buzz under the influence of the AC magnetic field.

OTOH, maybe something's just come loose in the assembly which is
vibrating when pulled on by the AC magnetic field. Since those chimes
run on low voltage AC it's safe to pull the cover off and have a look
see and gentle probing of the stuff inside while someone leans on the
doorbell button to see if you can make the buzzing stop. Don't overdue
the holding of the button, stop a while and let the solenoid cool down
if it start getting warm

If you get lucky you may find a loose part you can bend out of the way
or put a little glue (or if you're desperate enough, even chewing gum)
on to make it shut up.

Let the group know what it turns out to be.

HTH,

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Rick Shaw

Jim wrote:

My doorbell buzzes at the same time it ding dongs. It only buzzes as
long as the button is being pushed. What is up?

Nobody Home?
default

My doorbell buzzes at the same time it ding dongs. It only buzzes as
long as the button is being pushed. What is up?

Nobody Home?

Doorbells do that. You're putting AC current through a coil in
the electromagnet that hauls the "clapper" up when you push
the button. That coil and everything metallic nearby is vibrating
at 60 Hz, or some harmonic of that, because you've got
a magnetic field that's cycling at 60 Hz.

--Goedjn