[news]

Default removing carbon deposits from cooker rings

anyone know of any tried and tested chemical agents, preferably non abrasive,
which will remove light to meduim carbon deposits from a three section gas hob
ring consisting of an aluminium base, brass burner ring and a cast iron cap ?

there's quite a few products about but which ones actually work ?

tia

RT

bof

In message , "[news]"
writes
anyone know of any tried and tested chemical agents, preferably non abrasive,
which will remove light to meduim carbon deposits from a three section gas hob
ring consisting of an aluminium base, brass burner ring and a cast iron cap ?

there's quite a few products about but which ones actually work ?

Ceramic Hob cleaner works a treat removing carbonised deposits from
ceramic hobs, never tried it on a gas cooker though.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"[news]" writes:
anyone know of any tried and tested chemical agents, preferably non abrasive,
which will remove light to meduim carbon deposits from a three section gas hob
ring consisting of an aluminium base, brass burner ring and a cast iron cap ?

there's quite a few products about but which ones actually work ?

Any of the sodium hydroxide based oven cleaners will work on the
brass and steel bits, although they might damage any special finishes
so try on an unobtrusive area first. They also dissolve skin, flesh
and bones, so you need to take appropriate precautions.

Unfortunately, most things that dissolve burned on grease also dissolve
aluminium -- I don't have an answer for that one. If it was just
carbon, then an oxidising agent like hydrogen peroxide might remove it,
but it's much more complicated. (Don't try hydrogen peroxide, I'm not
sure how safely or explosively it might react with carbon. I would
guess aluminium would be OK as it's coated in a thin hard oxide layer
anyway, but the aluminium is probably an alloy and the hydrogen peroxide
might react with the other constiutents of it.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Michael Mcneil

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

there's quite a few products about but which ones actually work ?

Any of the sodium hydroxide based oven cleaners will work on the
brass and steel bits, although they might damage any special finishes
so try on an unobtrusive area first. They also dissolve skin, flesh
and bones, so you need to take appropriate precautions.

Nothing like good old fashioned caustic soda. Brings your teeth up a
treat.

[news]

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:fa9ed2bfcb753e76ceb8336d9a92208b.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

there's quite a few products about but which ones actually work ?

Any of the sodium hydroxide based oven cleaners will work on the
brass and steel bits, although they might damage any special finishes
so try on an unobtrusive area first. They also dissolve skin, flesh
and bones, so you need to take appropriate precautions.

Nothing like good old fashioned caustic soda. Brings your teeth up a
treat.

thanks all, guess I'll try a few products on the backside of a back ring

RT

Michael Mcneil

"[news]" wrote in message

thanks all, guess I'll try a few products on the backside of a back ring

What the "carbon" is, is a grease and dirt mix that has ebonised after
oxidising into a varnish-like polyester.

I wonder how Nitromorse would affect it.

Colin Wilson

I wonder how Nitromorse would affect it.

My wife gets shut of "immovable" pan stains by boiling cheap cola in it !
(about 15p at Tesco usually)

about the cooker socket Jason UK diy 11 October 27th 04 10:33 PM
Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker Chi UK diy 11 December 16th 03 02:44 PM
Electrical - Rangemaster p90 all gas Bill Gardener UK diy 8 December 14th 03 11:45 AM
Cooker Hood Carbon Filter Life? NatterJak UK diy 4 August 25th 03 05:29 PM