Ken Moon

Default LDD question

Lief or Dave (or LDD advocate)
When using LDD on wood that won't be turned immediately, must the wood be
left in LDD solution until turned, or can it be applied similarly to
Anchorseal? Can you just slather it onto the end grain and get adequate
splitting control, or is it better to use regular end sealer until ready to
turn? I just got some mountain juniper from my son that looks pretty
interesting, but it will be next month before I can get to it, and I have no
Anchorseal. What say you gurus??

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Ken

No I'm not a ldd advocate, I would stick the wood in a plastic bag and
maybe have a look at it weekly till I could turn it, you could also
paint the ends with a couple'o layers of paint, that does work also but
not as well as anchor seal, if you insist on ldd you will have to keep
it in there, and wear it when you turn the wood G called a soapy shower.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Ken Moon wrote:
Lief or Dave (or LDD advocate)
When using LDD on wood that won't be turned immediately, must the wood be
left in LDD solution until turned, or can it be applied similarly to
Anchorseal? Can you just slather it onto the end grain and get adequate
splitting control, or is it better to use regular end sealer until ready to
turn? I just got some mountain juniper from my son that looks pretty
interesting, but it will be next month before I can get to it, and I have no
Anchorseal. What say you gurus??

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Dave in Fairfax

Ken Moon wrote:
Lief or Dave (or LDD advocate)
When using LDD on wood that won't be turned immediately, must the wood be
left in LDD solution until turned, or can it be applied similarly to
Anchorseal? Can you just slather it onto the end grain and get adequate
splitting control, or is it better to use regular end sealer until ready to
turn? I just got some mountain juniper from my son that looks pretty
interesting, but it will be next month before I can get to it, and I have no
Anchorseal. What say you gurus??

Hi Ken,
The best way to deal with it would be to put it into a buck that will
just barely hold it and cover it with 50:50 LDD and water. Leave it in
there until you're ready to turn it. When you want to use it, pull it
and wipe it off well. Otherwise the irreverance that Leo mentioned will
be true. The shower part, that is. You can let it drip dry on a cookie
rack set on top of the bucket if you'd prefer, a couple hours should get
it dry enough to be less messy. I turn outside so it isn't an issue for
me, but if you're inside, like most normal people, a couple of shower
curtains from the $ sotre in front and behind the lathe should catch any
soap that gets slung around.

HTH,
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
Leif Thorvaldson

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...
Lief or Dave (or LDD advocate)
When using LDD on wood that won't be turned immediately, must the wood be
left in LDD solution until turned, or can it be applied similarly to
Anchorseal? Can you just slather it onto the end grain and get adequate
splitting control, or is it better to use regular end sealer until ready
to turn? I just got some mountain juniper from my son that looks pretty
interesting, but it will be next month before I can get to it, and I have
no Anchorseal. What say you gurus??

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Ken: LDD doesn't do a lick of good as an endsealer. I have tried it along
with other turners and the results were the same. The most effective is
Anchorseal. Others have used melted paraffin wax, latex paint, WD40 and
prayer. When I was actively turning, I would cut the wood in as long a
section as I could handle, paint the ends with Anchorseal, if I had it;
otherwise, I would let the wood ends split as they would until I was ready
to use it. Then I'd just trim off the ends to get to whole wood, cut a
turning blank and then immerse in LDD until I was ready to turn it and then
follow the steps outlined in "The World-famous Treatise on LDD." If you had
only a few small chunks/blanks you could make a vat full of LDD and keep
them immersed, turning them every few days to keep all the wood coated with
LDD.

Otherwise, do as Leo says about the old dark-ages way of preparing wood for
turning! *G*

Leif

Ken Moon

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
[...]

===========================
HI Gang,
Thanks for the replys! I didn't think it would work as an end sealer, but
since I'm out of Anchorseal and the only latex paint I have available right
now is what my wife has earmarked for some of her projects. Guess I'll have
to make a trip to Woodcraft and get some of their sealer. Just thought if it
would work, it would be a lot quicker and cheaper.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

mac davis

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 04:34:20 GMT, "Ken Moon" wrote:

Ken.. fill suitable container (bathtub, spa, pool, etc.) with 1 part LDD and 2
parts water, stir not shake, place logs in container with sacrificial plank on
top to keep submerged..
Remove when needed, prop up on plank over night to drain and use log....
did I get that right, Madge?? *g*

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
[...]

Please remove splinters before emailing
Leif Thorvaldson

wrote:

Ken.. fill suitable container (bathtub, spa, pool, etc.) with 1 part LDD
and 2
parts water, stir not shake, place logs in container with sacrificial
plank on
top to keep submerged..
Remove when needed, prop up on plank over night to drain and use log....
did I get that right, Madge?? *g*

That might work, although I'd suggest a 1:1 ratio of the solution. If the
idea of purchasing five hundred gallons of LDD is daunting, you can always
do what they did in the saw mills here in WA and just use a mill pond with
plain water. Of course, that could ruin your backyard, but then again, you
could always use it as a swimming hole for the kids. *G*

Madge (Channeled through Leif)

Ken Moon

wrote:

Ken.. fill suitable container (bathtub, spa, pool, etc.) with 1 part LDD
and 2
parts water, stir not shake, place logs in container with sacrificial
plank on
top to keep submerged..
Remove when needed, prop up on plank over night to drain and use log....
did I get that right, Madge?? *g*

That might work, although I'd suggest a 1:1 ratio of the solution. If the
idea of purchasing five hundred gallons of LDD is daunting, you can always
do what they did in the saw mills here in WA and just use a mill pond with
plain water. Of course, that could ruin your backyard, but then again,
you could always use it as a swimming hole for the kids. *G*

Madge (Channeled through Leif)

===========================
But you know how the kids complain about hitting their heads on the logs!
{:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Leif Thorvaldson

nk.net...

wrote:

[...]

Don't know if today's kids would even notice doing so what with the kind of
headbanger music they listen to!!*G*

Leif

mac davis

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:06:36 -0700, "Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Ken.. fill suitable container (bathtub, spa, pool, etc.) with 1 part LDD
and 2
parts water, stir not shake, place logs in container with sacrificial
plank on
top to keep submerged..
Remove when needed, prop up on plank over night to drain and use log....
did I get that right, Madge?? *g*

That might work, although I'd suggest a 1:1 ratio of the solution. If the
idea of purchasing five hundred gallons of LDD is daunting, you can always
do what they did in the saw mills here in WA and just use a mill pond with
plain water. Of course, that could ruin your backyard, but then again, you
could always use it as a swimming hole for the kids. *G*

Madge (Channeled through Leif)

I'm actually having the same or better results with the 1:2 ratio..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

wrote:

[...]

well, Ken.. a good turner has priorities, ya know...
get them swimming helmets and tell them not to dent the wood.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Leif Thorvaldson

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:06:36 -0700, "Leif Thorvaldson"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Ken.. fill suitable container (bathtub, spa, pool, etc.) with 1 part LDD
and 2
parts water, stir not shake, place logs in container with sacrificial
plank on
top to keep submerged..
Remove when needed, prop up on plank over night to drain and use log....
did I get that right, Madge?? *g*

That might work, although I'd suggest a 1:1 ratio of the solution. If the
idea of purchasing five hundred gallons of LDD is daunting, you can always
do what they did in the saw mills here in WA and just use a mill pond with
plain water. Of course, that could ruin your backyard, but then again,
you
could always use it as a swimming hole for the kids. *G*

Madge (Channeled through Leif)

I'm actually having the same or better results with the 1:2 ratio..

===== YMMV. I can only guarantee what worked best for me! *G*

Leif

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM