Ken Moon

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...
Lief or Dave (or LDD advocate)
When using LDD on wood that won't be turned immediately, must the wood be
left in LDD solution until turned, or can it be applied similarly to
Anchorseal? Can you just slather it onto the end grain and get adequate
splitting control, or is it better to use regular end sealer until ready
to turn? I just got some mountain juniper from my son that looks pretty
interesting, but it will be next month before I can get to it, and I have
no Anchorseal. What say you gurus??

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Ken: LDD doesn't do a lick of good as an endsealer. I have tried it
along with other turners and the results were the same. The most
effective is Anchorseal. Others have used melted paraffin wax, latex
paint, WD40 and prayer. When I was actively turning, I would cut the wood
in as long a section as I could handle, paint the ends with Anchorseal, if
I had it; otherwise, I would let the wood ends split as they would until I
was ready to use it. Then I'd just trim off the ends to get to whole
wood, cut a turning blank and then immerse in LDD until I was ready to
turn it and then follow the steps outlined in "The World-famous Treatise
on LDD." If you had only a few small chunks/blanks you could make a vat
full of LDD and keep them immersed, turning them every few days to keep
all the wood coated with LDD.

Otherwise, do as Leo says about the old dark-ages way of preparing wood
for turning! *G*

HI Gang,
Thanks for the replys! I didn't think it would work as an end sealer, but
since I'm out of Anchorseal and the only latex paint I have available right
now is what my wife has earmarked for some of her projects. Guess I'll have
to make a trip to Woodcraft and get some of their sealer. Just thought if it
would work, it would be a lot quicker and cheaper.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.