Owen Lowe

Default Ashley Isles Gouges...

Was looking over the Isles selection of gouges - sorta curious about the
brand as I've heard good comments but haven't looked into them before.
In the process I came across a term that leaves me a little perplexed:

Mario Rodriguez's 1.25" shallow spindle gouge in HSS ($116):
"The sheer size and weight of the tool makes it a bit expensive, but the
heft makes it easy to control. It's a production tool for the occasional
turner. 1-1/4" (37 mm) wide."
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...creen=PROD&Sto
re_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=IT-MARIO125&Category_Code=WIP

They've used the same "for the occasional turner" comment for at least
one other Isles tool - what do you think this means? How can you have a
"production tool" but for "occasional turning"?

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm
George

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news

They've used the same "for the occasional turner" comment for at least
one other Isles tool - what do you think this means? How can you have a
"production tool" but for "occasional turning"?

I think they realize that hobby turners outnumber professionals.

Sort of like the "extras" involved in packing up a bunch of chunks of steel
into a box, it's euphony, pleasant sounds designed to cover the lack of
significance.

Fred Holder

Hello Owen,

I believe that "for the occasional turner" is ment to imply that it is a very
good production tool, even if you are only a hobby turner. I agree with them
that it is an excellent spindle tool. Not a bowl gouge mind you, but a spindle
gouge. I have one that my wife quickly acquired for her tool kit. She allows me
to borrow it occasionally, guess that makes me an occasional turner. If you are
turning lots of spindles this is an excellent tool that will do the work of most
spindle tools. It is too big to turn small coves however.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Owen Lowe
says...

Was looking over the Isles selection of gouges - sorta curious about the
brand as I've heard good comments but haven't looked into them before.
In the process I came across a term that leaves me a little perplexed:

Mario Rodriguez's 1.25" shallow spindle gouge in HSS ($116):
"The sheer size and weight of the tool makes it a bit expensive, but the
heft makes it easy to control. It's a production tool for the occasional
turner. 1-1/4" (37 mm) wide."
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...creen=PROD&Sto
re_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=IT-MARIO125&Category_Code=WIP

They've used the same "for the occasional turner" comment for at least
one other Isles tool - what do you think this means? How can you have a
"production tool" but for "occasional turning"?

Alun

Owen Lowe wrote:

They've used the same "for the occasional turner" comment for at least
one other Isles tool - what do you think this means? How can you have a
"production tool" but for "occasional turning"?

My take on it is that they mean this as a tool for someone who turns
occasionally in a production environment, i.e. a production woodworker
who occasionally needs to turn items, but doesn't want or need to amass
the bewildering array of tools we woodturners do, but would rather have
just one or two that will cover most of his needs. TBH it looks a bit
like the kind of gouge whatsisname on the New Yankee Workshop uses for
absolutely *everything* he turns.

--
Alun Saunders

Owen Lowe

In article ,
Fred Holder wrote:

I believe that "for the occasional turner" is ment to imply that it is a very
good production tool, even if you are only a hobby turner. I agree with them
that it is an excellent spindle tool. Not a bowl gouge mind you, but a
spindle
gouge. I have one that my wife quickly acquired for her tool kit. She allows
me
to borrow it occasionally, guess that makes me an occasional turner. If you
are
turning lots of spindles this is an excellent tool that will do the work of
most
spindle tools. It is too big to turn small coves however.

Thank you Fred - and Barry, George and Alun - I can see the twist to the
wording now. Ain't language fun?

Years ago I met a fellow whose kid worked for a major sunglasses maker-
he mentioned that the company made available their products free of
charge to the blind. I thought it was the most cruel joke I had heard -
why in the world would they advertise such an unused benevolence? I
mean, for cryin' out loud, blind people can't see so they don't need to
cut the glare or protect against UVa/b rays. ... On the order of, "we
provide free Nike sneakers to double leg amputees."

It took some language interpretation and explanation to point out that
blind people use sunglasses for others looking at them and not the other
way around. Made perfect and obvious sense once it was reworded.

(BTW, I realize amputees may indeed have a use for Nike sneakers but on
the surface...)

Re-grinding gouges Dr. Deb Woodturning 3 June 7th 05 02:40 AM
Crown PM Bowl Gouges ? ? ? Barry N. Turner Woodturning 7 May 20th 05 11:38 AM
Patching scrapes and gouges in hardwood floor blueman Home Repair 1 April 4th 05 01:21 AM
Opinions of Ashley Furniture Quality Wanted ddmcall Home Ownership 2 March 2nd 05 11:57 AM
Roughing Gouges - Poorly Designed? George Woodturning 6 July 14th 03 11:59 PM