Dr. Deb

Default Re-grinding gouges

Jimbo wrote:

Hello all,
I am new to woodturning and was wondering if it is possible to regrind
a 1/2" spindle gouge to a bowl gouge or is the flute in the tool
different? I have 2 spindle gouges of the same width and rather that
purchasing a bowl gouge I could turn (no pun intended) one of them
into what I need.

I will probably be buying the oneway sharpening jigs to help me
sharpen my tools in the future.

Thanks,

Jimbo

The only way to make a spindle gouge into a bowl gouge is to reforge it. As
you suspected, the flutes are different radius.

Deb
Darrell Feltmate

Jimbo
Before you buy a bowl gouge, head over to my web site and take a look at the
Oland tool. This is a "make it" not "buy it" proposition. It is easy to
make, simple to use, and my preference to a bowl gouge. instructions for a
simple sharpening jig are there as well.
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

George

"Jimbo" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:07:06 -0500, "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

The only way to make a spindle gouge into a bowl gouge is to reforge it.
As
you suspected, the flutes are different radius.

Deb

Great, another craft to try and master before I am buried six feet
under. I think I better start shopping for some bowl gouges....

Though the flutes are a different radius, you can get the same angles on a
round spindle gouge as are available on a bowl gouge. Fingernailing the
gouge, which is to say rolling it as it is turned at the grinder, will give
you longer cutting ears. This will allow you to cut at the same angles
others use for the sides of a piece, but with a longer bevel left at the
nose, you'll have to have good clearance to run around the turn into the
bottom. That would make the gouge much less useful for spindle work, which
likes a longer nose bevel.

Gouges which are actually forged rather than ground, make superb peels on
convex pieces, and, with clearance, concave as well.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...30,43164,43175
Once again, the weakness is in the nose, and making steep turns.

It's an edge on a stick, regardless the name given.

Doug & Pat Black

Hi Jimbo: I wanted to answer you on your question of the re-grinding of a
spindle gouge.

The quick answer is yes you can grind a spindle gouge to the same profile as
a fingernail bowl gouge. With this shape the spindle gouge becomes a detail
gouge and can be used to cut detail lines and beads when you are decorating
your turnings. With the cutting edge reduced the gouge will not retain its
edge as long as a traditional spindle gouge and will not perform to the same
standard when doing spindle work.

The bowl gouge is a different beast entirely, the flute is deeper and most
often a different shape than the traditional spindle gouge. Gouges that
have an elliptical shape, more closed at the bottom than at the top, tend to
steer better and clear chips. If the top of the flute is too closed it
tends to clog when doing heavy cuts in wet wood.

I personally use the Oneway Mastercut series of gouges, the steel is
excellent the flute shape is one that I prefer. I use the Wolverine system
to sharpen and maintain the grinds that I use. I have a 1/4" spindle gouge
( Record) that I sharpen with the same side grind as my bowl gouges but I
keep the nose bevel longer on the spindle gouge. It only takes a moment to
change the jig to accomodate the different angle.

I hope this helps you.