Doug & Pat Black

Hi Jimbo: I wanted to answer you on your question of the re-grinding of a
spindle gouge.

The quick answer is yes you can grind a spindle gouge to the same profile as
a fingernail bowl gouge. With this shape the spindle gouge becomes a detail
gouge and can be used to cut detail lines and beads when you are decorating
your turnings. With the cutting edge reduced the gouge will not retain its
edge as long as a traditional spindle gouge and will not perform to the same
standard when doing spindle work.

The bowl gouge is a different beast entirely, the flute is deeper and most
often a different shape than the traditional spindle gouge. Gouges that
have an elliptical shape, more closed at the bottom than at the top, tend to
steer better and clear chips. If the top of the flute is too closed it
tends to clog when doing heavy cuts in wet wood.

I personally use the Oneway Mastercut series of gouges, the steel is
excellent the flute shape is one that I prefer. I use the Wolverine system
to sharpen and maintain the grinds that I use. I have a 1/4" spindle gouge
( Record) that I sharpen with the same side grind as my bowl gouges but I
keep the nose bevel longer on the spindle gouge. It only takes a moment to
change the jig to accomodate the different angle.

I hope this helps you.