Leo Van Der Loo

Default Experience turning lilac wood ?

Hi All

I picked up some lilac wood and trial turned a small Y piece of it,
shaped the outside and glued on a disk to reverse the piece, it cracked
up bad while waiting for a short time to have the CA glue harden up,
have any of you turned and got better results with lilac, or is this a
case for boiling etc. ?

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Denis Marier

I would like to know a little more about this boiling procedure.
Last fall I cut down a lilac tree in the afternoon. The next morning it was
already showing cracks. The wood is nice and with the purple streaks its
even more beautiful.
I still have the lilac wood. At time, I was thinking about burning it in
the wood store. Maybe, someday I'll find something to do with it?

"John Yale" wrote in message
. 1.69...
Leo Van Der Loo wrote in

:

I picked up some lilac wood and trial turned a small Y piece of it,
shaped the outside and glued on a disk to reverse the piece, it cracked
up bad while waiting for a short time to have the CA glue harden up,
have any of you turned and got better results with lilac, or is this a
case for boiling etc. ?

Lilac is one of the worst I have come across for cracking, but I have had
some success with boiling it, so I would definately give that a go.

John

Chuck

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 01:25:28 -0400, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi All

I picked up some lilac wood and trial turned a small Y piece of it,
shaped the outside and glued on a disk to reverse the piece, it cracked
up bad while waiting for a short time to have the CA glue harden up,
have any of you turned and got better results with lilac, or is this a
case for boiling etc. ?

Lilac is definitely a boiler. The best I've been able to get out of
it w/o boiling is some miniatures, stick pens and pen blanks.
Everything else cracks like crazy. I'd definitely go the boiling
route, if you have anything large enough to turn something out of.
BTW, _immediately_ splitting it through the pith after it is cut seems
to help a little bit, too.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Lynn Coffelt

Hi All

I picked up some lilac wood and trial turned a small Y piece of it,
shaped the outside and glued on a disk to reverse the piece, it cracked
up bad while waiting for a short time to have the CA glue harden up,
have any of you turned and got better results with lilac, or is this a
case for boiling etc. ?

Lilac is definitely a boiler. The best I've been able to get out of
it w/o boiling is some miniatures, stick pens and pen blanks.
Everything else cracks like crazy. I'd definitely go the boiling
route, if you have anything large enough to turn something out of.
BTW, _immediately_ splitting it through the pith after it is cut seems
to help a little bit, too.

--
Chuck *#:^)

Boiling? I've been lurking here for a couple of years, but have apparently
missed any detailed description of the boiling process. Any pointers would
be appreciated. I'm almost up to beginner stage, and have a little lilac
pieces that I've been saving for maybe three months, outside in the weather.
3 to 5 inches in diameter, 2 to 4 feet long. Some end checking, of course,
but now I must get serious and do something. (or wait until need for
firewood returns)
Thanks in advance
Old Chief Lynn

Leo Van Der Loo

Thank you Guys for the answers, was hoping for some magic, LOL.

I do not have experience with boiling, but have read that for certain
woods this is apparently the best way to prevent the cracking of the wood.
Basically the wood is boiled for a minimum of one hour per inch of
thickness.
I do have a link to the protocol, it (the link) works for me, don't know
if it will for you, it probably will wrap around, it's rather long.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...6868952124f43b

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Lynn Coffelt

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
news

Thank you Guys for the answers, was hoping for some magic, LOL.

I do not have experience with boiling, but have read that for certain
woods this is apparently the best way to prevent the cracking of the wood.
Basically the wood is boiled for a minimum of one hour per inch of
thickness.
I do have a link to the protocol, it (the link) works for me, don't know
if it will for you, it probably will wrap around, it's rather long.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...6868952124f43b

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Great, Thanks, the link worked OK. I'm going to give the procedure a try on
(in) my crab cooker if the propane holds out!
Old Chief Lynn

Chuck

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:25:05 -0700, "Lynn Coffelt"
wrote:

Boiling? I've been lurking here for a couple of years, but have apparently
missed any detailed description of the boiling process. Any pointers would
be appreciated. I'm almost up to beginner stage, and have a little lilac
pieces that I've been saving for maybe three months, outside in the weather.
3 to 5 inches in diameter, 2 to 4 feet long. Some end checking, of course,
but now I must get serious and do something. (or wait until need for
firewood returns)

Basically the formula is, one hour boiling per inch of thickness (I
believe), allow to cool in its own water, remove and dry.

You and Leo might want to go the Pentacryl route, if it means a lot to
you to be able to turn it. I've never used it, but it's supposed to
go a long way toward stabilizing unstable woods.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Chuck,

No thanks, I still have a half full container of it and also the
turnings I used it on, they still stink and feels greasy wet after 5 or
6 years sitting on a shelf in my shop, you can have it if you like (come
and get it) I will never use it again.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Chuck wrote:

SNIP/

You and Leo might want to go the Pentacryl route, if it means a lot to
you to be able to turn it. I've never used it, but it's supposed to
go a long way toward stabilizing unstable woods.

George

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message

Hi Chuck,

No thanks, I still have a half full container of it and also the
turnings I used it on, they still stink and feels greasy wet after 5 or
6 years sitting on a shelf in my shop, you can have it if you like (come
and get it) I will never use it again.

Chuck wrote:

SNIP/

You and Leo might want to go the Pentacryl route, if it means a lot to
you to be able to turn it. I've never used it, but it's supposed to
go a long way toward stabilizing unstable woods.

Think you're talking Polyethylene Glycol (PEG), Leo. I get more scum on the
top of mine than on a working sauerkraut crock after soaking green wood, but
I lift it, check the SG and keep on soaking mallets in it anyway.

Pentacryl is sort of like painting the surface with thinned carpenter's
glue, it seems.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi George

No George the product is Pentacryl, I submerged the turnings for a long
time, don't recall the exact length, but was several weeks at least, I
was disappointed with the feel and smell, the turnings are still without
cracks, at least last time I picked one up to have another look and smell.
As for PEG I have never used it, I assume that it is working a lot like
Pentacryl but I have no personal experience with it.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

George wrote:

Think you're talking Polyethylene Glycol (PEG), Leo. I get more scum on the
top of mine than on a working sauerkraut crock after soaking green wood, but
I lift it, check the SG and keep on soaking mallets in it anyway.

Pentacryl is sort of like painting the surface with thinned carpenter's
glue, it seems.

George

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message

Hi George

No George the product is Pentacryl, I submerged the turnings for a long
time, don't recall the exact length, but was several weeks at least, I
was disappointed with the feel and smell, the turnings are still without
cracks, at least last time I picked one up to have another look and smell.
As for PEG I have never used it, I assume that it is working a lot like
Pentacryl but I have no personal experience with it.

At sixteen bucks a quart, I imagine I'd "immerse" by putting a minimum
amount in a plastic bag with my object and pulling almost all the air out.
They recommend a week for 6x6x2, so it sounds like you might have overdone.

PEG's a lot cheaper. Doesn't take a finish worth squat, though, unless your
name's Moulthrop.

Ken Moon

"George" george@least wrote in message

[...]

=======================
Does anyone know how Moultrop finished his big turnings after PEG treatment?
Or how he was even able to treat the big stuff he turned?
Also, is Phillip doing the big turnings like his father did?

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

George

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
.net...
PEG's a lot cheaper. Doesn't take a finish worth squat, though, unless
your
name's Moulthrop.

=======================
Does anyone know how Moultrop finished his big turnings after PEG
treatment? Or how he was even able to treat the big stuff he turned?
Also, is Phillip doing the big turnings like his father did?

Son was pursuing his own vision last I read, though the magic of the father
will probably pull him back into the big stuff for the bucks, I'd say.

Rumors of the phenolic resin type are the most credible, like the old Watco.
Seems I read somewhere that this was part of some magic formula containing
dishwasher detergent....

I used to wipe the surfaces with acetone and apply Watco. Only in dry
weather, though. The way PEG sucks water, anything over about 60% RH is
slimy.