Lynn Coffelt

Hi All

I picked up some lilac wood and trial turned a small Y piece of it,
shaped the outside and glued on a disk to reverse the piece, it cracked
up bad while waiting for a short time to have the CA glue harden up,
have any of you turned and got better results with lilac, or is this a
case for boiling etc. ?

Lilac is definitely a boiler. The best I've been able to get out of
it w/o boiling is some miniatures, stick pens and pen blanks.
Everything else cracks like crazy. I'd definitely go the boiling
route, if you have anything large enough to turn something out of.
BTW, _immediately_ splitting it through the pith after it is cut seems
to help a little bit, too.

--
Chuck *#:^)

Boiling? I've been lurking here for a couple of years, but have apparently
missed any detailed description of the boiling process. Any pointers would
be appreciated. I'm almost up to beginner stage, and have a little lilac
pieces that I've been saving for maybe three months, outside in the weather.
3 to 5 inches in diameter, 2 to 4 feet long. Some end checking, of course,
but now I must get serious and do something. (or wait until need for
firewood returns)
Thanks in advance
Old Chief Lynn