RonB

Default Source for Thick Walnut

Anyone know of a source for Kiln-dried 8/4 or thicker walnut in the SE
Kansas, SW Missouri, NW Arkansas, NE OK area?

RonB

Duane Bozarth

RonB wrote:

Anyone know of a source for Kiln-dried 8/4 or thicker walnut in the SE
Kansas, SW Missouri, NW Arkansas, NE OK area?

Was an ad in the Wichita Eagle Sunday (sorry, don't have it handy to
give phone number, but I presume they have it online although that's a
guess) for an individual listing 150 +/- bf from 5/4 thru 12/4...620-
area code so wasn't in Wichita city (or I suppose could have been a cell
number).

I've bought through Star Lumber in Wichita who get their supply through
a wholesaler there (who only sells wholesale). There are mills in the
SE but I don't have any contacts...if you were to find some, that would
be good info to know...
robo hippy

Ron,
I would think that there has to be a sawmill of some sort around
Springfield,MO. Call some of the tool places, ask some of the local
arborists, ask the lumber suppliers. They may not have it themselves,
but they probably know someone who does.
robo hippy

Nobody_special

RonB wrote:
Anyone know of a source for Kiln-dried 8/4 or thicker walnut in the SE
Kansas, SW Missouri, NW Arkansas, NE OK area?

RonB

There used to be a sawmill in Fredonia, KS. May not be there anymore,
been ~10yrs since I was there.

The ad Duane mentioned could be the gentleman with a Woodmizer
near ?Alden? (IIRC). Nice guy who cut up some Black walnut for me
~4yrs ago, but that's more central KS.

--
J R

Kevin

Sorry for the off-topic remarek but ...

Fredonia!?!? It's been quite some time since I was there, well over 20
years. My great uncle lived there since around the 40s. He was the one who
showed me a brass 8 guage shotgun shell. It was used by the cement industry
there to blast a hole in the rock that would later take some dynomite. He
also showed me how to clean a rabbit. Thanks for sparking a memory

"Nobody_special" wrote in message
RonB wrote:
Anyone know of a source for Kiln-dried 8/4 or thicker walnut in the SE
Kansas, SW Missouri, NW Arkansas, NE OK area?

RonB

There used to be a sawmill in Fredonia, KS. May not be there anymore,
been ~10yrs since I was there.

The ad Duane mentioned could be the gentleman with a Woodmizer
near ?Alden? (IIRC). Nice guy who cut up some Black walnut for me
~4yrs ago, but that's more central KS.

--
J R

robo hippy

You might even call Woodmizer, and ask them if they have sent any of
their mills out to your area.

Given a choice, I would take air dried over 'kill dried' any day. It
has to be inside for a while before you use it, but when you run it
through the table saw, you get shavings, not saw dust.
robo hippy

RonB

I bought quite a bit of hardwood from the Fredonia mill. It was only about
30 miles from my home town and they did stock some of the heavier stuff.
Dad turned the operation over to family about five years ago and some sort
of squabble ended up destroying the business.

RonB

Try this Gunner Cliff Metalworking 417 April 26th 05 08:30 PM
Walnut and Black Walnut Lumber? Leon Woodworking 43 November 26th 04 11:07 PM
Black Walnut or Puruvian Walnut? Leon Woodworking 2 April 25th 04 03:30 PM
Steam bending Walnut JMWEBER987 Woodworking 1 March 17th 04 03:24 PM
Plywood vs. hardwood for walnut bookcases Ted Drain Woodworking 20 December 27th 03 08:04 PM