Arch

Default Musing in praise of solid forms

Hollowing larger forms while retaining small orifices has become more a
chore than a pleasure for me lately. Got to where I sort of dreaded the
effort. Even though I have an arsenal of hollowing tools, fixtures and
gizmos to make the _work_ easier, it was work and I'm retired. I was
beginning to spend more time turning in my armchair than on my lathe.

Anyway lately, I've had more fun and less inclination to avoid my lathe
by making lamps, candle sticks, stethoscopes (they were originally
wooden trumpets, often ornate) and plain artistic (that's not a
contradiction) spindles to fondle and admire. There's a universe of
solid turnings that are easy and fun to make, are great gifts and
probably sell well. Holtzapffl pg. 458- 459 will get anybody started.

I may not be typical, but if any of you are beginning to dread hollowing
out large blanks or whatever kind of turning you think the rules say you
must do, remember the wide scope of our hobby. The business side may be
another matter, but try making some solid forms again. Turn them with
pride, there's no blame, no shame and with the current emphasis on thin
hollow forms, surely no fame! Just one turner's opinion that will
probably change with how the wind blows.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

George

"Arch" wrote in message
Hollowing larger forms while retaining small orifices has become more a
chore than a pleasure for me lately. Got to where I sort of dreaded the
effort. Even though I have an arsenal of hollowing tools, fixtures and
gizmos to make the _work_ easier, it was work and I'm retired. I was
beginning to spend more time turning in my armchair than on my lathe.

I think it's disingenuous to speak of how graceful a "form" is - only if
it's hollowed. Sort of like showing a picture of something, and, instead of
letting it stand on its own, detailing how thin, how finely sanded, how many
coats....

If it's pretty, and will sell, make it. If it's a chore, bag it. Only
"hollow forms" I do any more are ornaments, where lightness counts. The
others aren't good sellers, and I find no special joy in making them.

Joe Fleming

I've a couple of thoughts. Don Derry, who sells a gated hollowing
system, says that the "art" is on the outside of the piece. Hollowing
only gets the sawdust out of the way. Therefore, whatever tool you
use, make the hollowing as easy and painless as possible.

As for solid shapes, I like solids that fell good. Spheres feel good.
Eggs feel good. A few others feel good too.

The only call for hollowing is that an item might feel better when it
is lighter rather than heavier.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

Leo Lichtman

"Joe Fleming" wrote: (clip) The only call for hollowing is that an item
might feel better when it is lighter rather than heavier.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And, knock *gently* on wood, it may have less tendency to crack.

Returning to Arch's point: Some of us old, retired turners do it solely for
pleasure. The pleasure is in the doing and the giving. If it stops being
enjoyable, there is absolutely no obligation to force yourself. If, as in
Arch's case, it happens to be spindle-forms--enjoy.

Joe Fleming

Leo - absolutely agree. I turn what I enjoy: solid or otherwise. My
only point is that some shapes feel better to me hollow. Joe

Kevin

A rather timely topic Arch. Bowls and platters are indeed a hoot. A couple
days ago I got to thinking about the fun I have been having on my lathe. I
say fun as I still enjoy the heck out of turning the bowls and the
occasional small plate. The first thing I ever turned on my lathe (October
2003) was a mushroom on some found wood. After maybe 10 or 20 I started in
on bowls and plates and those have pretty much been it as far as what was
produced other than copious amounts of sawdust.
Well I got to thinking about the finishing on my pieces. I see on websites
examples that look to be made of glass as the surfaces are so smooth. I
see - I want. We are a rather visually driven species. So I put the spur
center in, drew the tailstock up on a piece of soft maple and started it
spinning to see how smooth a finish I could get. The added bonus to the
exercise was I will be left with a handle for something that has yet to be
determined. It does seem that it is easier to a get a smoother finish on
smaller diameter pieces than larger ones.

I do notice that much of the discussion on this group seems to be on bowls
and such. Not a bad thing at all.. But I wonder if folks here ever slap a
piece in just to make it round and remove nothing from the interior.

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Fred Holder

Hello Arch,

There are probably more woodturners making a living turning solid forms; i.e.,
architectural pieces than there are making hollow items. Serveral years ago,
when I first retired, I did the craft shows regularly. Some of my best selling
items were vase forms that were drilled to accept dry flowers. I used a 1/2"
hole. The pieces were heavy, but people liked the shapes. My best sellers were
from an old yew fence post. I called the pieces Fence Post 1, Fence Post 2, etc.
until I ran out of the fence post. It is not necessarily customers who are so
impressed by thin walled hollow forms--it is the other woodturners.

After about four or five years working the craft shows, I decided that I really
like to write and woodturning gives me something to write about. I started More
Woodturning in 1996 and found it more of a pleasure to do than it is to turn
large batches of pieces for craft fairs. I've also written three books since
2000 and have a fourth in the works. I do lots of woodturning to test tools and
work out ideas to write about. I don't have the stress of trying to make those
thin walled vessels that is the rave among woodturners.

I say turn what you find enjoyable if you are turning for pleasure. If you are
turning to sell you work, turn what people are buying. But always enjoy what you
are turning.

Good luck with your new solid is beautiful approach. I fully agree.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Arch says...

[...]

Ken Moon

"Fred Holder" wrote in message
[...]

Arch,
If you are a follower of Richard Raffen, you know he advocates doing forms
for the sake of the form. When complete, he sprays each one black to keep
any of the natural grain and coloration from detracting from the shape
itself. If you do a series (or library) of shapes like this, you always have
a reference for your chase for the "perfect curve". Unfortunately I still
haven't found that perfection. {:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX