Arch

Default Musing in praise of solid forms

Hollowing larger forms while retaining small orifices has become more a
chore than a pleasure for me lately. Got to where I sort of dreaded the
effort. Even though I have an arsenal of hollowing tools, fixtures and
gizmos to make the _work_ easier, it was work and I'm retired. I was
beginning to spend more time turning in my armchair than on my lathe.

Anyway lately, I've had more fun and less inclination to avoid my lathe
by making lamps, candle sticks, stethoscopes (they were originally
wooden trumpets, often ornate) and plain artistic (that's not a
contradiction) spindles to fondle and admire. There's a universe of
solid turnings that are easy and fun to make, are great gifts and
probably sell well. Holtzapffl pg. 458- 459 will get anybody started.

I may not be typical, but if any of you are beginning to dread hollowing
out large blanks or whatever kind of turning you think the rules say you
must do, remember the wide scope of our hobby. The business side may be
another matter, but try making some solid forms again. Turn them with
pride, there's no blame, no shame and with the current emphasis on thin
hollow forms, surely no fame! Just one turner's opinion that will
probably change with how the wind blows.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter