Kevin

A rather timely topic Arch. Bowls and platters are indeed a hoot. A couple
days ago I got to thinking about the fun I have been having on my lathe. I
say fun as I still enjoy the heck out of turning the bowls and the
occasional small plate. The first thing I ever turned on my lathe (October
2003) was a mushroom on some found wood. After maybe 10 or 20 I started in
on bowls and plates and those have pretty much been it as far as what was
produced other than copious amounts of sawdust.
Well I got to thinking about the finishing on my pieces. I see on websites
examples that look to be made of glass as the surfaces are so smooth. I
see - I want. We are a rather visually driven species. So I put the spur
center in, drew the tailstock up on a piece of soft maple and started it
spinning to see how smooth a finish I could get. The added bonus to the
exercise was I will be left with a handle for something that has yet to be
determined. It does seem that it is easier to a get a smoother finish on
smaller diameter pieces than larger ones.

I do notice that much of the discussion on this group seems to be on bowls
and such. Not a bad thing at all.. But I wonder if folks here ever slap a
piece in just to make it round and remove nothing from the interior.

"Arch" wrote in message
Hollowing larger forms while retaining small orifices has become more a
chore than a pleasure for me lately. Got to where I sort of dreaded the
effort. Even though I have an arsenal of hollowing tools, fixtures and
gizmos to make the _work_ easier, it was work and I'm retired. I was
beginning to spend more time turning in my armchair than on my lathe.

Anyway lately, I've had more fun and less inclination to avoid my lathe
by making lamps, candle sticks, stethoscopes (they were originally
wooden trumpets, often ornate) and plain artistic (that's not a
contradiction) spindles to fondle and admire. There's a universe of
solid turnings that are easy and fun to make, are great gifts and
probably sell well. Holtzapffl pg. 458- 459 will get anybody started.

I may not be typical, but if any of you are beginning to dread hollowing
out large blanks or whatever kind of turning you think the rules say you
must do, remember the wide scope of our hobby. The business side may be
another matter, but try making some solid forms again. Turn them with
pride, there's no blame, no shame and with the current emphasis on thin
hollow forms, surely no fame! Just one turner's opinion that will
probably change with how the wind blows.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter