Fred Holder

Hello Arch,

There are probably more woodturners making a living turning solid forms; i.e.,
architectural pieces than there are making hollow items. Serveral years ago,
when I first retired, I did the craft shows regularly. Some of my best selling
items were vase forms that were drilled to accept dry flowers. I used a 1/2"
hole. The pieces were heavy, but people liked the shapes. My best sellers were
from an old yew fence post. I called the pieces Fence Post 1, Fence Post 2, etc.
until I ran out of the fence post. It is not necessarily customers who are so
impressed by thin walled hollow forms--it is the other woodturners.

After about four or five years working the craft shows, I decided that I really
like to write and woodturning gives me something to write about. I started More
Woodturning in 1996 and found it more of a pleasure to do than it is to turn
large batches of pieces for craft fairs. I've also written three books since
2000 and have a fourth in the works. I do lots of woodturning to test tools and
work out ideas to write about. I don't have the stress of trying to make those
thin walled vessels that is the rave among woodturners.

I say turn what you find enjoyable if you are turning for pleasure. If you are
turning to sell you work, turn what people are buying. But always enjoy what you
are turning.

Good luck with your new solid is beautiful approach. I fully agree.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Arch says...

Hollowing larger forms while retaining small orifices has become more a
chore than a pleasure for me lately. Got to where I sort of dreaded the
effort. Even though I have an arsenal of hollowing tools, fixtures and
gizmos to make the _work_ easier, it was work and I'm retired. I was
beginning to spend more time turning in my armchair than on my lathe.

Anyway lately, I've had more fun and less inclination to avoid my lathe
by making lamps, candle sticks, stethoscopes (they were originally
wooden trumpets, often ornate) and plain artistic (that's not a
contradiction) spindles to fondle and admire. There's a universe of
solid turnings that are easy and fun to make, are great gifts and
probably sell well. Holtzapffl pg. 458- 459 will get anybody started.

I may not be typical, but if any of you are beginning to dread hollowing
out large blanks or whatever kind of turning you think the rules say you
must do, remember the wide scope of our hobby. The business side may be
another matter, but try making some solid forms again. Turn them with
pride, there's no blame, no shame and with the current emphasis on thin
hollow forms, surely no fame! Just one turner's opinion that will
probably change with how the wind blows.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter