Default No earth terminal in plastic bulbholder

Hello all,

I'm trying to build an unusually-designed lamp from scratch. I bought
three core flex (live neutral and earth) and a basic B&Q plastic
lamp-type bulb holder - you can probably figure out my problem from
he a quick look in this group tells me that it's not unusual for a
plastic lamp holder to have no earth terminal and thats what I found
with this one.

I assume this has no safety implications to worry about and that I
should just use two core flex? Is there any way I can wire it to use
the 3 core I have already bought?

Thanks in advance...
cam

:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I'm trying to build an unusually-designed lamp from scratch. I

bought
three core flex (live neutral and earth) and a basic B&Q plastic
lamp-type bulb holder - you can probably figure out my problem from
he a quick look in this group tells me that it's not unusual for

plastic lamp holder to have no earth terminal and thats what I found
with this one.

I assume this has no safety implications to worry about and that I
should just use two core flex? Is there any way I can wire it to use
the 3 core I have already bought?

Assuming this isn't just a troll posting.

In having to ask such a basic question, are you sure you are capable
of building this 'lamp' safely, or should you just give up ?

I blame all these UK DIY television programmes, "Yes you can do
anything, just a wish to do it is all you need, common sense or
ability doesn't matter - you CAN do it"..... not. :~(

Does your "unusually-designed lamp" have any exposed metal parts? If

so
they may need earthing (I don't think you can assume that a

lampholder
provides Class 2 insulation.)

None at all...

Otherwise use 2-core flex, as you say. Don't attempt bodges like
cutting off the earth wire in a 3-core flex, as this may confuse

someone
trying to change the plug or undertake a PAT test at a later date.

This is what I was going to do - it struck me that I could just wire
the earth at the plug end and then not connect it at the bulb end.

Flex used to wire directly to a lampholder should be the

heat-resisting
grade to BS 6141 (you can buy this in B&Q) and not ordinary 70 deg C
rated type (BS 6500).

Thanks for the tip.

Jerry - I realise that it may come across as slightly dim but this is
not a troll. Attempt to get your head around the idea that not everyone
has an interest in the same topics as, I presume, yourself and have
very little 'common knowlegde' to go on in this area...

I happen to have a copy of the Reader's Digest DIY 'bible', yes, and it
encourages me to do ludicrous things like replace my consumer unit. Not
for me, and I agree with you that its breezy tone and perfect-world
diagrams probably encourage a wide range of ill-advised projects.
However, can I find an answer to a 'basic question' like this? It would
seem not.

Thanks for the replies,
cam

:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

Jerry - I realise that it may come across as slightly dim but this

is
not a troll. Attempt to get your head around the idea that not

everyone
has an interest in the same topics as, I presume, yourself and have
very little 'common knowlegde' to go on in this area...

In which case you shouldn't be contemplating doing something that
could kill if you get things wrong. Competence to do something is not
just a wish to do something...

I happen to have a copy of the Reader's Digest DIY 'bible', snip

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

In which case you shouldn't be contemplating doing something that
could kill if you get things wrong. Competence to do something is not
just a wish to do something...

Jeeziz, a simple question about wiring conventions and the Safety Nazis
are on you.. if only I was as serenely competent as you Jerry and as
concerned for the poor idiots around me who don't know their AC from
their DC.

I have a willingness to learn and a willingness to ask people who might
know, like those on this group. I'm sorry if this seems ill-advised or
inept to you.

I happen to have a copy of the Reader's Digest DIY 'bible', snip

'nough said.... :~(

Nicely decontextualized...

As you say, enough said.

Help with electric guitar pots problems? mark Electronics Repair 12 November 24th 04 10:26 AM
Electricity supply cable: why are E and N combined? Lobster UK diy 5 May 11th 04 10:55 AM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM
Ceiling fan earth Andy Wade UK diy 5 August 11th 03 04:16 PM
Ground to Gas Pipe?? w_tom Home Repair 4 June 23rd 03 09:14 AM