Andy Wade

I'm trying to build an unusually-designed lamp from scratch. I bought
three core flex (live neutral and earth) and a basic B&Q plastic
lamp-type bulb holder - you can probably figure out my problem from
he a quick look in this group tells me that it's not unusual for a
plastic lamp holder to have no earth terminal and thats what I found
with this one.

I assume this has no safety implications to worry about and that I
should just use two core flex? Is there any way I can wire it to use
the 3 core I have already bought?

Does your "unusually-designed lamp" have any exposed metal parts? If so
they may need earthing (I don't think you can assume that a lampholder
provides Class 2 insulation.)

Otherwise use 2-core flex, as you say. Don't attempt bodges like
cutting off the earth wire in a 3-core flex, as this may confuse someone
trying to change the plug or undertake a PAT test at a later date.

Flex used to wire directly to a lampholder should be the heat-resisting
grade to BS 6141 (you can buy this in B&Q) and not ordinary 70 deg C
rated type (BS 6500).

HTH
--
Andy