Sparks

"Gelf" wrote in message
I bought this at the car bootie last year. I guess it's a bit long in
the tooth, but it seems substantially built.
Naturally, it doesn't work properly (always the way!)
The pump runs but the water comes out in rapid pulsating spurts and
the pressure gauge fluctuates from zero to about 1/4 way round.
Any suggestions of likely fault before I strip it down and likelyhood
and source of any spares that may be needed?
TIA Gelf

A pressure washer I used has this same problem, pulsating output.

It was the dump valve (It is supposed to dump the high pressure side back to
the low pressure side when you stop the output) but when you open the output
agin, the valve is supposed to stay shut; it wasn't staying shut due to some
crap in it.

Also, i had the same problem when the lance was partially blocked, the unit
ramped up to too higher pressure, the dump valve operated, the pressure then
dropped as the output was actually open, and then it just cycles like this.
(In my unit, taking off the nozzle at the end resulted in water spraying out
of 4 holes in the side, and one in the end - the one in the end was clogged
with crap, clearing this cleared the fault.

Sparks...

Sparks

Prostate trouble

--
geoff

Fix your clock!
It looks like I posted a reply to you before your wrote it!

Magician

Sparks

You are dead right in your diagnosis, although I'd check the nozzle
first!

Worth the effort, the KEW 88 is a legend amongst domestic pressure
washers.

Spares should be available. KEW is now called Alto and they are in
Penrith, Cumbria.

Dave

raden

In message , Sparks
writes

Prostate trouble

--
geoff

Fix your clock!
It looks like I posted a reply to you before your wrote it!

That's what comes of watching Dr Who

It looks OK here

--
geoff
Dave Liquorice

On 29 Mar 2005 15:16:54 -0800, Magician wrote:

Worth the effort, the KEW 88 is a legend amongst domestic pressure
washers.

Spares should be available. KEW is now called Alto and they are in
Penrith, Cumbria.

Ooo, useful snippet. Sort of in the market for a pressure washer and
was probably going for a karcher if only beacuse of the market
penetration and bright colour.

But if Kew/Alto are in Penrith and they are still thought of as a good
buy that is a whole new ball game. Penrith is just 20 miles away, lot
better than trying to get to Germany...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Peter Parry

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:24:11 +0100, Gelf wrote:

I bought this at the car bootie last year. I guess it's a bit long in
the tooth, but it seems substantially built.
Naturally, it doesn't work properly (always the way!)
The pump runs but the water comes out in rapid pulsating spurts and
the pressure gauge fluctuates from zero to about 1/4 way round.

Quite often caused by insufficient inlet pressure or the presence of
a pressure limiting valve on the mains supply side. Try putting a
bucket of water about 4ft above the ground and taking a short length
of hose from that to the washer. If it works OK it is poor water feed
causing the problem.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Magician

Hi Peter
Quite often caused by insufficient inlet pressure or the presence of

a pressure limiting valve on the mains supply side.

Could be. On that point, avoid the hozelock 'auto stop' connectors
with pressure cleaners. These have a valve inside so you can
disconnect the fitting without turning the water off.

The suction from the pump often causes the valve to operate and
restrict the water supply.

Dave

Magician

Dave wrote; Ooo, useful snippet

Nilfisk-ALTO
Division of Nilfisk-Advance Ltd.
Bowerbank Way
Gilwilly Industrial Estate
UK-Penrith, Cumbria CA 11 9BQ

Tel.: +44 1768 868995
Fax: +44 1768 864713
E-mail:
www.nilfisk-alto.co.uk

The Wanderer

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:24:11 +0100, Gelf wrote:

I bought this at the car bootie last year. I guess it's a bit long in
the tooth, but it seems substantially built.
Naturally, it doesn't work properly (always the way!)
The pump runs but the water comes out in rapid pulsating spurts and
the pressure gauge fluctuates from zero to about 1/4 way round.
Any suggestions of likely fault before I strip it down and likelyhood
and source of any spares that may be needed?
TIA Gelf

Got the same washer (I think), and yes it's (very) long in the tooth. I'm
guessing mine is 20+ years old.

Had exactly this problem, and it still crops up from time to time. It's
invariably a smallish bit of grit in the outlet lance, keeps blocking the
nozzle. Bit of a pig to clean out, I've found setting the lance to the low
pressure setting and 'jet' rather than fan spray so you can dribble some
water down through the nozzle, combined with some repeated tapping onto a
block of wood (don't damage the pipe & seal at the other end) will dislodge
the grit.

Don't try removing the nozzle. I tried it, buggered the 'fan' spray
deflectors and finished up buying a new spray lance complete. Quite pricey.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Magician

The Wanderer wrote;

It's

invariably a smallish bit of grit in the outlet lance, keeps blocking
the
nozzle. Bit of a pig to clean out

Best done with an airline IMO. Try not to poke things into the nozzle,
the size is crucial. We use 6 different sizes of nozzle and the
difference between the biggest and the smallest is 0.5mm.

Dave

Martin Evans

"Magician" wrote:

Sparks

You are dead right in your diagnosis, although I'd check the nozzle
first!

Worth the effort, the KEW 88 is a legend amongst domestic pressure
washers.

Spares should be available. KEW is now called Alto and they are in
Penrith, Cumbria.

I hope they have a better policy on spares pricing than they had 10
years ago. Not long out of guarantee a motor burned out on a 340 quid
unit. They offered a new motor at 270 quid or a 'reconditioned'
pressure washer on exchange with 3 months guarantee at 290 quid.

Needless to say I declined so I ground the weld out and split the
motor casing, pulled the armature and had it rewound for 20 quid. A
15 quid weld job later (on stainless) and it was as good as new.

Gelf

On 30 Mar 2005 03:12:33 -0800, "Magician"
wrote:

The Wanderer wrote;

It's

invariably a smallish bit of grit in the outlet lance, keeps blocking
the
nozzle. Bit of a pig to clean out

Best done with an airline IMO. Try not to poke things into the nozzle,
the size is crucial. We use 6 different sizes of nozzle and the
difference between the biggest and the smallest is 0.5mm.

Dave

[op]: thanks for all your helpful replies. It looks like it's worth
saving.
I think I'll start with the dump valve - it looks favourite for me
Gelf

Well and Pressure tank problem Jeff Home Repair 13 December 17th 04 03:11 AM
Dyson washer fault code impvan UK diy 1 October 7th 03 12:01 AM
Thinking of buying a cold pressure washer BACKNCARDR Metalworking 18 October 3rd 03 04:34 PM
Pressure washer woes David UK diy 8 September 5th 03 10:54 PM