David

Default Pressure washer woes

My nearly-new Kaercher pressure washer has developed a problem... when
I use it with the 'normal' wand (as opposed to the twirly dirt-blaster
thingy), the motor/pump keeps cutting in and out so that I get a
pulsatile flow of about two blasts per second. (I have occasionally
seen this with the twirly wand as well).

What could be causing this? I wondered about a partial blockage in
the wand - would that cause these symptoms? It seems to work
perfectly well when the pump is in its 'on' phase, and I can't see
anything amiss. The water supply by hose is fine I'm sure - it's fed
from a direct mains-fed tap.

Any advice ?
Thanks
David
robgraham

I wondered about a partial blockage in
the wand - would that cause these symptoms?

Yes, it does sound like that. If there is back pressure the pump detects it
and switches off, e.g. when you release the trigger.

Rob Graham

Tom @ HollyLodge

"David" wrote in message
om...
My nearly-new Kaercher pressure washer has developed a problem... when
I use it with the 'normal' wand (as opposed to the twirly dirt-blaster
thingy), the motor/pump keeps cutting in and out so that I get a
pulsatile flow of about two blasts per second. (I have occasionally
seen this with the twirly wand as well).

What could be causing this? I wondered about a partial blockage in
the wand - would that cause these symptoms? It seems to work
perfectly well when the pump is in its 'on' phase, and I can't see
anything amiss. The water supply by hose is fine I'm sure - it's fed
from a direct mains-fed tap.

Any advice ?
Thanks
David

Ours does this on 2 occaisions
a) when the inlet filter is blocked
b) when the nozzle is blocked where it joins the gun

---
AVG Free Edition

Tim..

"David" wrote in message
om...
My nearly-new Kaercher pressure washer has developed a problem... when
I use it with the 'normal' wand (as opposed to the twirly dirt-blaster
thingy), the motor/pump keeps cutting in and out so that I get a
pulsatile flow of about two blasts per second. (I have occasionally
seen this with the twirly wand as well).

What could be causing this? I wondered about a partial blockage in
the wand - would that cause these symptoms? It seems to work
perfectly well when the pump is in its 'on' phase, and I can't see
anything amiss. The water supply by hose is fine I'm sure - it's fed
from a direct mains-fed tap.

Usually when this happens its because you have a small bit of grit in the
nozzle which is causing the pressure to rise past the relief valve setting.

Best way is to remove the lance from the trigger or nozzle from lance (if
possible) and clean it by applying water backwards through the nozzle. Or
use some bristles from a washing up brush. Don't use wire!

Tim..

---

David

"Tim.." wrote in message ...
"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks for the advice, all.
Have checked the inlet filter where the garden hose attaches -
perfectly clean.
Had a prod with some bristles as suggested, but have also discovered I
can actually look down the nozzle of the lance and see daylight right
through it, and so can confirm visually there are no blockages there.

So I'm a bit (a lot) puzzled. Any further ideas anyone?!

Could it be faulty machine? Its a recent enough purchase to be
returned to the supplier, but I don't want to do that unless it's a
genuine fault.

Might the fact that I occasionally experience the problem with the
twirly wand be explained by differential pressures in the two wands?

Thanks
David

David

"Tim.." wrote in message ...
"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

PS...
Further to my post of an hour ago, the pressure pulsing problem is no
evident most of the time with my twirly lance as well. I feel a trip
to B&Q coming on!
David
Bob Mannix

"David" wrote in message
"Huge" wrote in message

snip
This is caused by insufficient flow to the washer. Try removing any
"stop ends" in the hose, or running a hose directly to the washer.

Thanks Huge. Interestingly, in the meantime I've found and phoned the
Kaercher Helpline, and they diagnosed the problem as me having a stop-end

on
my hose. Ten minutes later, I'd rectified that..... but the fault
persisted. Kaercher then told me to take the machine back for an
exchange - which I've just done.

Sorry, I joined this late. I agree with Huge - mine does this all the time
if I use it on too long a bit of hose - a more direct connection fixes it -
also if the pressure is down. Never mind, sounds like you got a replacement
anyway!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

StealthUK

I have a Karcher as well. I have also been having pressure problems.

My normal routine begins with running water through the section of
hose before connecting it to the Pressure washer, to clear any crud
and air. Remove all kinks and try to make the hose as straight as
possible. Similarly make sure the washer gun hose is also as straight
as possible. This normally resolves really bad pressure problems or
the switching on/off cycle. However mine has started leaking water out
of the plastic vents as well now. Anybody know what this is? I suspect
a gasket of some description needs replacing.

shower pressure Louigi Cornetto UK diy 1 September 1st 03 07:14 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM
Automatic water pressure maintainer for combi boiler system? Frank W UK diy 12 August 20th 03 11:22 PM
Water pressure Dave Liquorice UK diy 2 August 17th 03 01:11 PM
Anyone recommend a combi that works well on low water pressure? Christian McArdle UK diy 5 August 16th 03 11:17 AM