r.p.mcmurphy

Default Staining Papier Mache gap fill?

i have gaps in my bathroom stained and varnished pine floor up to about 6mm
wide in places, but mostly 2-3mm. after googling it seems that Papier Mache
is suggested. but can it be stained the same colour as the rest of the
floor? what is the correct procedure?

Steve

Mike

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
i have gaps in my bathroom stained and varnished pine floor up to about

6mm
wide in places, but mostly 2-3mm. after googling it seems that Papier

Mache
is suggested. but can it be stained the same colour as the rest of the
floor? what is the correct procedure?

I tried this when it was suggested for beams and it never looked right there
no matter what we did.

Pete C

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:20:36 -0000, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

i have gaps in my bathroom stained and varnished pine floor up to about 6mm
wide in places, but mostly 2-3mm. after googling it seems that Papier Mache
is suggested. but can it be stained the same colour as the rest of the
floor? what is the correct procedure?

Hi,

Filling the gaps with off-white sealant might be more acceptable than
an attempted match with staining to a pine colour.

cheers,
Pete.
andrewpreece

wrote:

i have gaps in my bathroom stained and varnished pine floor up to about

6mm
wide in places, but mostly 2-3mm. after googling it seems that Papier

Mache
is suggested. but can it be stained the same colour as the rest of the
floor? what is the correct procedure?

Hi,

Filling the gaps with off-white sealant might be more acceptable than
an attempted match with staining to a pine colour.

cheers,
Pete.

Agreed: use 'natural' ( i.e. wood colour ) acrylic frame sealant. It mellows
to a nondescript colour after
6 months but looks appropriate.

Andy.

r.p.mcmurphy

wrote:

i have gaps in my bathroom stained and varnished pine floor up to about

6mm
wide in places, but mostly 2-3mm. after googling it seems that Papier

Mache
is suggested. but can it be stained the same colour as the rest of the
floor? what is the correct procedure?

Hi,

Filling the gaps with off-white sealant might be more acceptable than
an attempted match with staining to a pine colour.

cheers,
Pete.

Agreed: use 'natural' ( i.e. wood colour ) acrylic frame sealant. It
mellows
to a nondescript colour after
6 months but looks appropriate.

Andy.

the rest of the floor is stained dark oak... how dark can acrylic frame
sealer be stained?

Steve

basil

wrote:

i have gaps in my bathroom stained and varnished pine floor up to about 6mm
wide in places, but mostly 2-3mm. after googling it seems that Papier Mache
is suggested. but can it be stained the same colour as the rest of the
floor? what is the correct procedure?

Steve

Could you sacrifice a floor board from somewhere else in the house and
cut that into pieces to fill the gaps? Obvioulsy use a board from a
room that will never have bare boards and just replace the sacrifice
with some cheap pine.
Pete C

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:53:42 +0100, "r.p.mcmurphy"
wrote:

Filling the gaps with off-white sealant might be more acceptable than
an attempted match with staining to a pine colour.

cheers,
Pete.

Agreed: use 'natural' ( i.e. wood colour ) acrylic frame sealant. It
mellows
to a nondescript colour after
6 months but looks appropriate.

Andy.

the rest of the floor is stained dark oak... how dark can acrylic frame
sealer be stained?

Hi,

Ooops, I assumed the floor was a light pine colour, if it's dark oak
then a very dark brown or black may be better than attempting to match
the oak colour.

Might be worth taking a picture of some boards then using photoshop to
try different colours for the gaps.

cheers,
Pete.
andrewpreece

wrote:

[...]

You cannot stain it, I was under the impression you wanted something close
to your floor
colour, not exact. To be honest I don't see a need for ultra-close colour
matching of gaps
to boards, the gaps are features of wooden flooring and don't look unsightly
unless the
gaps or irregular or if you used something daft like white silicone.
Acrylic frame sealant comes in several colours, the two wood-type
colours I have
seen being natural ( light wood ) and mahogany. For light oak to medium, I
would use
natural ( light wood ) frame sealant ( DOW-CORNING ), it will look light on
application
but will darken considerably after a few months. If going for dark oak, you
may get away with
aged 'natural' sealant, but otherwise I would get a tube of mahogany
frame sealant and see how it looked in a test area - in my experience the
colour is less
liable to darken than 'natural' frame sealant, so squeezing some out and
letting it form
a skin over 24 hours should give you an accurate idea of its colour.
Obviously if you are
after an exact match then frame sealant isn't the way to go.
BTW, now is a good time to fill your gaps, the gaps seem to be
widest in winter, and they
have opened wider this winter than last. I don't think there is an expansion
problem as long
as you don't try and fill the entire depth of your floorboard gaps, probably
not even then.

Andy.

Andy Dingley

wrote:

the rest of the floor is stained dark oak... how dark can acrylic frame
sealer be stained?

Any colour you like, if you stain it wet and then apply it with a
trowel. A bit messy, but worth it for some jobs.

Can't stain it after it's applied.

How to fill wood gap? Dan White Woodworking 9 March 17th 05 03:15 AM
staining Pine Mook Johnson Woodworking 5 February 14th 05 06:26 PM
staining hardwoods Mark Woodworking 3 December 29th 04 01:23 PM
Hot water Raditor does not fill up googledan Home Ownership 5 October 27th 04 07:37 PM
Torbeck Valve Fill Speed - should it be so slow? IMM UK diy 3 August 15th 03 02:03 PM