Mark

Default staining hardwoods

work for a company that installs custom cabinets and moldings. Almost
everything we do is paint grade, MDF and poplar. The other day it was
raining I was stopped from picking up some maple 1 x by my shop Forman. He
stated that if the wood got wet it would not be any good for staining. I
have never heard this before. Is there any truth to this. He is basing this
off of a previous mantel that had gotten wet and had to be removed because
the staining didn't come out right. I don't know who stained it but my
guess is that the owner did and had no idea what he was doing. thanks.

Duane Bozarth

Mark wrote:

work for a company that installs custom cabinets and moldings. Almost
everything we do is paint grade, MDF and poplar. The other day it was
raining I was stopped from picking up some maple 1 x by my shop Forman. He
stated that if the wood got wet it would not be any good for staining. I
have never heard this before. Is there any truth to this. He is basing this
off of a previous mantel that had gotten wet and had to be removed because
the staining didn't come out right. I don't know who stained it but my
guess is that the owner did and had no idea what he was doing. thanks.

Will have to make sure it's dry and properly sanded prior to finishing
is all...of course, if one allows other contaminants, it can get
stained, but just a little rain water should cause no problem other than
requiring a complete resanding.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:25:30 GMT, "Mark"
wrote:

work for a company that installs custom cabinets and moldings. Almost
everything we do is paint grade, MDF and poplar. The other day it was
raining I was stopped from picking up some maple 1 x by my shop Forman. He
stated that if the wood got wet it would not be any good for staining. I
have never heard this before. Is there any truth to this. He is basing this
off of a previous mantel that had gotten wet and had to be removed because
the staining didn't come out right. I don't know who stained it but my
guess is that the owner did and had no idea what he was doing. thanks.

pretty much true. if it gets rained on, you'll have to get it dry,
then sand it again to get it to stain nicely.
George

wrote:

work for a company that installs custom cabinets and moldings. Almost
everything we do is paint grade, MDF and poplar. The other day it was
raining I was stopped from picking up some maple 1 x by my shop Forman.

He
stated that if the wood got wet it would not be any good for staining. I
have never heard this before. Is there any truth to this. He is basing

this
off of a previous mantel that had gotten wet and had to be removed

because
the staining didn't come out right. I don't know who stained it but my
guess is that the owner did and had no idea what he was doing. thanks.

pretty much true. if it gets rained on, you'll have to get it dry,
then sand it again to get it to stain nicely.

Soft maple, especially the heartwood, is high in extractives, and has a
tendency to form rings around the water spots.