Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

googledan

Default Hot water Raditor does not fill up

Hello Folks
I have purchased an old house with hot water radiators. No one had
lived in the house for some time, so it was a little neglected. The
house needed some plaster work, so I removed one of the old radiators.
After the plaster work was fixed, I put the old radiator back on. I
have tried for several days now, but I cannot seem to get this
radiator filled with water. It is on the second floor. All of the
other radiators on the second floor now have air in them. I have
opened the bleed valve on one of the radiators and let it run for an
entire day, but it will not fill up. I can tell there is water in
there. It is about half full now. How long should this take? The
radiators on the bottom floor work great. They are full and get hot
very fast. I just cannot get the radiators on the second floor to fill
up. When I open the bleed valve, I can hear air rush out, so I guess
there is some pressure.

Any ideas

Speedy Jim

googledan wrote:

[...]

The boiler must have a certain minimum pressure (as shown on the
pressure gauge) to lift water to the highest elevation. Often
the gauge will also be calibrated in FEET of elevation.

Some boilers have an automatic feed valve which will maintain
this pressure; others must be fed water manually.

Do a GOOGLE for Hydronic heating
and look for DIY info.

Also search for Watts Dual Control
to maybe see a pic of a typical auto-feed setup.

Better, get thee to yon library; they are sure to have books on
residential heating to bring you up to speed.

Jim
googledan

Speedy Jim wrote in message ...
googledan wrote:

[...]

I do have a automatic feed valve. This must be the small copper
pipe that runs from the water line to the back of the boiler. This
value is turned all the way counter clockwise( I think this means
open). If I try to turn it clockwise water pours out of the nob. I
wonder if it needs replacing??
I also have an expansion tank. I think water is taken from the
expansion tank if the system needs extra water. I have opened the
drain valve of the expansion tank, there is water in it.

frank

"googledan" wrote in message
[...]

Is it a steam system that happens to be overloaded with water? In
that case you will need to drail lots of water out and start over.

Single or double pipe steam can be made to work well, but I do no
recommend it.

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM