Richard

Default Makita HR2450X impressions after first week of use

You may recall that I sought advice on a replacement for a very crude
and nasty (but cheap) NuTool SDS+ machine a while back. It looked
pretty much like the Screwfix Ferm SDS Plus Rotary Hammer Drill 230v.
Had no safety clutch and the chuck was free to rotate in chisel only mode.

In the end I ordered a Makita HR2450X from Lawson for a shade under £120
with four sets of small SDS+ drills included.

While waiting for it to arrive I borrowed a Powerbase Exell (sp?) which
looks pretty much like the Ferm 1100W SDS Hammer Drill but is not as
powerful. The Powerbase unit has a safety clutch and the chuck does not
wander in chisel mode and doubtless cost far less than the Makita.

Apart from knocking some sizeable holes with both the PB and Makita
machines, which both do equally well, the only thing I did with both
which showed their true abilities was chiselling out a concrete floor
down to an old bitumen DPC without breaking said DPC. I started using
my trusty bolster until I remembered that I had two SDS+ chiselling
machines at my disposal (duh).

I started with the PB machine but found (a) that it was too heavy to use
for any length of time and (b) it's chiselling is not easily controlled
as it is a fixed speed machine. The Makita weighs fractionally less
than my Bosch hammer drill and, having variable speed, is much more
controllable when chiselling. Just that bit of chiselling made me
realize what a good decision I had made - I had wondered when I was
using the PB machine after having ordered the Makita whether I was
spending money unnecessarily and a PB would have been fine. I can now
see me using the Makita for any drilling into brick, even small holes,
it's so light and manageable. Oh and it's nice not to have the high
pitched scream of a hammer drill to contend with.

Regarding the weight of the Makita; I had initially feared that being so
light it would be less effective than my old NuTool machine of the PB.
However, it seems that the weight of the unit is irrelevant - at least
for the tasks I have used it for so far.

Other nice touches are a carrying case that is cast rather than blow
moulded with a proper hinge and lots of space for drills etc.

Rgds

Richard

BTW my old SDS+ machine has been doing sterling work as a plaster
stirrer since having the duff hammer action removed and the broken nose
cone stuck together with JB Weld!

Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Richard wrote:
The Makita weighs fractionally less than my Bosch hammer drill and,
having variable speed, is much more controllable when chiselling. Just
that bit of chiselling made me realize what a good decision I had made
- I had wondered when I was using the PB machine after having ordered
the Makita whether I was spending money unnecessarily and a PB would
have been fine. I can now see me using the Makita for any drilling
into brick, even small holes, it's so light and manageable. Oh and
it's nice not to have the high pitched scream of a hammer drill to
contend with.

Yup. To me, an SDS drill which weighs little more than an ordinary mains
drill and is vari-speed is essential if you intend using it for long
periods.

Those who recommend heavy non vari-speed 'cheap' drills simply don't use
them much.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Richard

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yup. To me, an SDS drill which weighs little more than an ordinary mains
drill and is vari-speed is essential if you intend using it for long
periods.

Those who recommend heavy non vari-speed 'cheap' drills simply don't use
them much.

Hi Dave,

In defence of the cheap SDS+ drills I bought my cheapy purely for
knocking holes in a concrete garage rather than destroy my Bosch, never
thinking that it would replace the Bosch. Also I was cautious about
overspending on what I feared could have been a single use tool.

On the other hand I could have been so badly put off by the unfriendly
behaviour of my cheapy that I might never have bought another SDS+, let
alone one that's any good!

Cheers

Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by

http://www.diyprojects.info
Nick Atty

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:07:01 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Yup. To me, an SDS drill which weighs little more than an ordinary mains
drill and is vari-speed is essential if you intend using it for long
periods.

Those who recommend heavy non vari-speed 'cheap' drills simply don't use
them much.

Yes, but if you don't use them much, they are fantastic. I've used my
dirt cheap Ferm one only about 5 times in the last three years. Each
time it's done something that would have been very difficult or
impossible without it. Well worth the money.

If it died, I'd probably buy something a little better, but not that
much - unless I knew I had a big project coming along.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)