Default Underfloor heating high running costs

I moved into a newly built house last October with Underfloor heating.
The problem is it is using 1000 litres of oil on average every 6 weeks.
The house is approx 2000 sq ft. I have had the boiler checked out
(commissioned and serviced) but no joy. I have the temp at the boiler
set to the lowest setting (dial reads 0 to 5 not temp so don't know
exactly what temp this is). Each room has own REHAU stat and these are
set around 20 - 22 degrees. Only prob is the control doesn't seem to be
great - some rooms warm some colder. I was thinking of changing the
room stats to see if I could get better control and better efficiency.
I have also had a UFH installer check out the system. He says it should
be ok. Any ideas out there??

Grunff

nospam wrote:

Subscribe to the uk selfbuild group on yahoo for an authoritative
answer - loads of ufh expertise there

Whereas around here we're all a bunch of know-nothing morons?

--
Grunff
Andrew McKay

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:53:27 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Whereas around here we're all a bunch of know-nothing morons?

Doesn't apply to everyone, but one or two candidates (okay, one
candidate) would step up to volunteer

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

Nospam

Grunff wrote:

nospam wrote:

Subscribe to the uk selfbuild group on yahoo for an authoritative
answer - loads of ufh expertise there

Whereas around here we're all a bunch of know-nothing morons?

Yes.

Next

Lobster

"Nospam" wrote in message

Grunff wrote:

nospam wrote:

Subscribe to the uk selfbuild group on yahoo for an authoritative
answer - loads of ufh expertise there

Whereas around here we're all a bunch of know-nothing morons?

Yes.

And you are reading uk.d-i-y because............?

David
The Natural Philosopher

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/UK_Selfbuild/

--

1000 litres of oil every 6 weeks does seem highly excessive.

Not particularly, in a big house in a cold late winter.

Don't want to alarm you but is it possible you might have an oil leak some
where and an undetected oil slick building up on the scale of the Exxon
Valdez?

I'd say you have less than ideal insulation somwehere.

Or a wife who opens the windows when shee feels too hot, rather than
turning down the heating..;-)

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
RedOnRed wrote:

"nospam" wrote in message

[...]

Its unusual in a new house though, 2000sq ft is larger than average but
not huge, ours is the same size, built 10 yrs ago and we use about
2500ltr per yr, we don't have UFH though.

Don't want to alarm you but is it possible you might have an oil leak some
where and an undetected oil slick building up on the scale of the Exxon
Valdez?

I'd say you have less than ideal insulation somwehere.

Or a wife who opens the windows when shee feels too hot, rather than
turning down the heating..;-)

--
David
Mary Fisher

wrote in message

Or a wife who opens the windows when shee feels too hot, rather than
turning down the heating..;-)

Advice to husband:
if she does that simply close the windows and turn down the heating.

Advice to wife:
if husband does that close the windows, turn down heating and make him put
another layer on. Nothing's simple with husbands.

--
David

John

. ..
RedOnRed wrote:

"nospam" wrote in message

I moved into a newly built house last October with Underfloor heating.
The problem is it is using 1000 litres of oil on average every 6 weeks.
The house is approx 2000 sq ft. I have had the boiler checked out
(commissioned and serviced) but no joy. I have the temp at the boiler
set to the lowest setting (dial reads 0 to 5 not temp so don't know
exactly what temp this is). Each room has own REHAU stat and these are
set around 20 - 22 degrees. Only prob is the control doesn't seem to be
great - some rooms warm some colder. I was thinking of changing the
room stats to see if I could get better control and better efficiency.
I have also had a UFH installer check out the system. He says it should
be ok. Any ideas out there??

Bear in mind that a new house will take some time for all water in the
fabric to dry out but your usage does seem very high. Are you sure you need
the same temperatures all over the house?

Subscribe to the uk selfbuild group on yahoo for an authoritative
answer - loads of ufh expertise there
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/UK_Selfbuild/

Surely you are not suggesting they too have someone who is both an expert in
everything and a legend in his own mind? (Perhaps he will go there to share
his contributions?)

1000 litres of oil every 6 weeks does seem highly excessive.

Not particularly, in a big house in a cold late winter.

I know of one really big old house 5 bedroom house, built around 200 years
ago so the only insulation was in the loft, which used that sort of quantity
but I'd hate to think that anything built new would use fuel at that rate.

Don't want to alarm you but is it possible you might have an oil leak
some where and an undetected oil slick building up on the scale of the
Exxon Valdez?

Easy to check if you have a sight tube type gauge, turn off the boiler, turn
off the fuel tank outlet, turn on the gauge isolator if there is one and
observe over a day or so if there is any lowering of the gauge. If there is
a significant fall it will need urgent attention. If it is a small fall try
to ensure its not just thermal contraction effects

I'd say you have less than ideal insulation somwehere.

Or a wife who opens the windows when shee feels too hot, rather than
turning down the heating..;-)

Quite!

Lee

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Or a wife who opens the windows when shee feels too hot, rather than
turning down the heating..;-)

I've got one of those...Must be a common species.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Alan

Could someone be stealing it?

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Rebuilding costs Lobster UK diy 5 October 9th 04 11:35 AM
Every wanted to see a Chinese production facility? Dan Metalworking 182 December 2nd 03 08:31 AM
Homebuilding High Temp Furnace. Roger N Metalworking 16 September 3rd 03 06:56 PM