tarquinlinbin

Default Tiling tips?

Hi all,

I'm about to do a full tile on a bathroom,,should i tile one wall at a
time or run battens round all the walls and follow one line all around
and build up row on row?

ta

chris French

In message , tarquinlinbin
writes
Hi all,

I'm about to do a full tile on a bathroom,,should i tile one wall at a
time or run battens round all the walls and follow one line all around
and build up row on row?

Well you would want to follow the same level round the room, but I
wouldn't tile all the way round one level at a time.

Put up the battens round the room Do one wall then, then another etc.

For getting the levels round the walls, I'd get one of the cheap laser
levels/line generators
--
Chris French, Leeds
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
tarquinlinbin wrote:
I'm about to do a full tile on a bathroom,,should i tile one wall at a
time or run battens round all the walls and follow one line all around
and build up row on row?

Something like a laser level is useful for getting a datum line all round
the room.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Chris Bacon

tarquinlinbin wrote:
I'm about to do a full tile on a bathroom,,should i tile one wall at a
time or run battens round all the walls and follow one line all around
and build up row on row?

One at a time!
Homer2911

tarquinlinbin wrote:
Hi all,

I'm about to do a full tile on a bathroom,,should i tile one wall at

time or run battens round all the walls and follow one line all

around
and build up row on row?

ta

One wall at a time I'd say. I think you'll find that professionals
start at the centre of a wall, so that cut tiles at either end of a row
are the same size. Paricularly relevant the larger the tile is. To
start each wall, I'd use a batten to fix the level of the second row
from the bottom - lasers don't support heavy tiles with wet tile cement
under 'em!

Andrew McKay

On 24 Mar 2005 14:40:58 -0800, "Homer2911"
wrote:

One wall at a time I'd say. I think you'll find that professionals
start at the centre of a wall, so that cut tiles at either end of a row
are the same size. Paricularly relevant the larger the tile is. To
start each wall, I'd use a batten to fix the level of the second row
from the bottom - lasers don't support heavy tiles with wet tile cement
under 'em!

Something else which is forgotten all too easily is that the bottom
row of tiles should NOT rest on the work surface or bath edge. Reason
being that shrinkage and expansion of walls, worktops, baths, etc will
cause the tiles and whatever they meet with to shunt against each
other. In these circumstances it isn't unusual to have tiles come off
the wall, or crack.

Leave a gap of a couple of mm, and use a silicon sealant to seal that
gap.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

chris French

In message .com,
Homer2911 writes

tarquinlinbin wrote:
Hi all,

I'm about to do a full tile on a bathroom,,should i tile one wall at

time or run battens round all the walls and follow one line all

around
and build up row on row?

ta

One wall at a time I'd say. I think you'll find that professionals
start at the centre of a wall, so that cut tiles at either end of a row
are the same size.

Yes, but you want to avoid having thin strips at the ends if possible,
measure, dry run etc. to check the best arrangement.

I'd use a batten to fix the level of the second row
from the bottom

Well yes.

- lasers don't support heavy tiles with wet tile cement
under 'em!

no, but it's an easy way of getting the level round the room to fix
battens to.
--
Chris French, Leeds