Junior Member

Default Central Heating System?

I'm in the process of getting central heating system installed in my house. So far I've had 2 quotations.
It's a 3 bedrooms terraced house over 2 floors. The companies suggested I would need 9 radiator panels and a combination boiler.
Company A quoted me £4580 (with a Ideal combinaton boiler).
Company B quoted me £4160 (with a Vaillant combination boiler).

What I want to know are these prices fair for the work requires or I could get better prices looking around.
Another question I have is how reliable are these combination boilers and any particular brand is better?

Any comments would be most appreciated.
John Stumbles

Marty wrote:
I'm in the process of getting central heating system installed in my
house. So far I've had 2 quotations.
It's a 3 bedrooms terraced house over 2 floors. The companies suggested
I would need 9 radiator panels and a combination boiler.
Company A quoted me £4580 (with a Ideal combinaton boiler).
Company B quoted me £4160 (with a Vaillant combination boiler).

What I want to know are these prices fair for the work requires or I
could get better prices looking around.

Bit expensive.

When comparing quotes check where they're proposing to put the rads:
under windows/on outside walls is best, back to back on inside walls is
cheap'n'nasty.

Another question I have is how reliable are these combination boilers
and any particular brand is better?

They're pretty reliable, though when they do break down you have no
backup for either heating or hot water so you have to get them fixed PDQ.

Vaillant have a good reputation. Ideal are not bad though there seems to
be some issue with the Isar/Icos condensing boilers (see recent-ish
thread). Check (google) recent threads with discussions of boilers for
pros & cons.

Multi-zone heating system controls/BMS systems John Stumbles UK diy 4 February 13th 05 09:54 PM
New central heating system sam UK diy 0 January 9th 05 07:52 PM
Pumped central heating system grimmy UK diy 4 November 1st 04 08:04 PM
Flushing a closed central heating system aris UK diy 1 October 17th 03 09:19 PM
Draining a closed central heating system Jay and mike 1 UK diy 4 October 4th 03 04:33 AM