grimmy

Default Pumped central heating system

My dad has asked me to ask this, I hope this is the right group

"Fitting a pumped central heating system, is it possible to take pipes
down from the bedroom to the lounge and back up again, and from
another bedroom to the dining room and back up again, or do I have to
come down from upstairs and run piping all the way across the lounge
to the dining room and back again?"

Thanks to anyone taking the trouble to help him out.
Christian McArdle

"Fitting a pumped central heating system, is it possible to take pipes
down from the bedroom to the lounge and back up again, and from
another bedroom to the dining room and back up again, or do I have to
come down from upstairs and run piping all the way across the lounge
to the dining room and back again?"

You can do either, and it is pretty standard in houses with concrete floors
that aren't suitable for containing pipework to use the drop method. Ensure
that each drop loop has a drain cock at the bottom for draining, as water
doesn't flow uphill to the one at the boiler.

The main disadvantage of dropping individually is that it is harder to make
an upstairs/downstairs zone split, but this might not concern as many people
as perhaps it should.

Christian.

Owain

"Christian McArdle" wrote
| The main disadvantage of dropping individually is that it is
| harder to make an upstairs/downstairs zone split, but this
| might not concern as many people as perhaps it should.

If it's designed from the outset, is there any reason why there could not be
two flow pipes (upstairs and downstairs) and a common return?

Owain

richard

"Owain" wrote in message
"Christian McArdle" wrote
| The main disadvantage of dropping individually is that it is
| harder to make an upstairs/downstairs zone split, but this
| might not concern as many people as perhaps it should.

If it's designed from the outset, is there any reason why there

could not be
two flow pipes (upstairs and downstairs) and a common return?

Owain

you can't use a common return pipe because when only one zone is in
use you get reverse circulation in the radiators on the other zone,
unless you use check valves everywhere, you have to run both returns
separately and tee them together after all the radiators have been
picked up.
Rich