dave @ stejonda

Default A question for the group..................................

In message , Logan
writes

Suggestions would be appreciated.

So why set the follow-ups to a different newsgroup?

--
dave @ stejonda
Owain

Logan wrote:
Would anyone have any objections if I dropped an "advert" for mole,
squirrel and feral cat eradication once in a while? About twice a
month.

Squirrels don't have many friends[1] but you stand to upset the
mole-hugging cat-worshipping contingent.

All the ad would consist of would be my name and telephone number and
a short description of cost. I'd make sure the subject line said
summat like Garden pest control so as the message can be skipped if
required.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

Read the charter/FAQ.

Owain

[1] Possibly mental scars from being sent to a Reo Stakis 'Cyril The
Squirrel' children's club haven't healed for some posters.

[f/u to uk.local.hampshire removed]
Adrian Simpson

In article , "dave @ stejonda"
writes
In message , Logan
writes

Suggestions would be appreciated.

So why set the follow-ups to a different newsgroup?

A quick peek into uk.local.hampshire might explain. Looks as though the
same posting has been made into several uk.* groups with follow ups to
ULH.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"

Owain wrote:
Logan wrote:

Would anyone have any objections if I dropped an "advert" for mole,
squirrel and feral cat eradication once in a while? About twice a
month.

Squirrels don't have many friends[1] but you stand to upset the
mole-hugging cat-worshipping contingent.

All the ad would consist of would be my name and telephone number

and
a short description of cost. I'd make sure the subject line said
summat like Garden pest control so as the message can be skipped if
required.
Suggestions would be appreciated.

Read the charter/FAQ.

Owain

[1] Possibly mental scars from being sent to a Reo Stakis 'Cyril The
Squirrel' children's club haven't healed for some posters.

[f/u to uk.local.hampshire removed]

OP will get abuse reports. Poor attempt OP. These groups only function
because commercial stuff is kept out, and there are enough
knowledgeable people to see you face the consequences of spamming.

NT

Cuprager

snippings

OP will get abuse reports. Poor attempt OP. These groups only function
because commercial stuff is kept out, and there are enough
knowledgeable people to see you face the consequences of spamming.

NT

Out of curiosity, how would you go about that? Who woould you report and
to whom with info gotten where?

Thanks
GM

John

"Cuprager" wrote in message
snippings

OP will get abuse reports. Poor attempt OP. These groups only function
because commercial stuff is kept out, and there are enough
knowledgeable people to see you face the consequences of spamming.

NT

Out of curiosity, how would you go about that? Who woould you report and
to whom with info gotten where?

Thanks
GM

for OE users simply type ctrl f3 for full details of original spamming post
with full headers, ctrl a to highlight whole post including the full headers
you have just opened up, ctrl c to copy this to your clipboard then forward
post to the originators ISP abuse department, ctrl v pastes the full headers
into the forwarded post and make the subject "SPAM COMPLAINT" A brief
explanation to the recipient about why you are forwarding the offending post
such as excessive cross posting frequent posting of same advert, posting in
contravention of newsgroup charter, morphing of senders ID (we all know who)
etc. Interestingly abuse "on the net" is not a problem whereas abuse "of the
net" is.

Cuprager

John wrote:
"Cuprager" wrote in message

snippings

[...]

Thanks John,

I have had a look at the header info for 'Logan' it doesnt contain as
much information as say my header which includes things like client
type, 'complaints to' etc etc. Is there a way that he is hiding this
info? The header does contain an ip address X-Trace. Will that be the IP
of the machine that he used to post the message?

I know this is slightly off topic but it is about usenet... so please
indulge me as i dont tolerate spammers very well )

GM
John

"Cuprager" wrote in message

SNIP

Thanks John,

I have had a look at the header info for 'Logan' it doesnt contain as much
information as say my header which includes things like client type,
'complaints to' etc etc. Is there a way that he is hiding this info? The
header does contain an ip address X-Trace. Will that be the IP of the
machine that he used to post the message?

I know this is slightly off topic but it is about usenet... so please
indulge me as i dont tolerate spammers very well )

GM

Depending on the cleverness of the spammer, the trace can be easy or
progressively more difficult. I don't profess to be at a high level in this
matter, having only posted the starting level instructions. There are a
number of sources for further information and automated spam complaining
software but most of these are viewed with deep suspicion.
Perhaps other group readers can take you further - anyone?