Paul

Default Potterton Suprima 60 fault

Hi all

Hope this is an appropriate group to ask this question.

I have a newish house (just under 4 years old) and the heating system is
powered by a Potterton Suprima 60 wall mounted boiler.

All has been well until a few weeks ago we started getting problems with the
boiler locking out intermittently for no apparent reason.

The pump continued to run, but there is a little red LED on the control
panel which flashes.

On pressing the reset button, the boiler fires up, and away it goes again.
It could then be fine for several days, then the same thing happens.

I have been ringing around to find an engineer to take a look at it, but
then by coincidence, we had a note put through our door from a neighbour,
who was having exactly the same problem, and on consulting his neighbour,
found he also had the same problem.

He called an engineer who said that this was a known fault with this boiler
and that later models had been fitted with a modified electronic control
unit to cure the problem. However, to fit the modified unit to his boiler
would cost £250.00!!

Potterton deny that there is a problem with this boiler.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks in advance

Paul

e-mail address is dummy - to reply mail to paul at lola dot ltd dot uk

tony sayer

In article , Paul
writes

Not yet another! Duff Suprima thread. Biggest heap of ****e around
renowned for the duff **** poor quality of their control boards(
--
Tony Sayer

raden

In message , Paul
writes
Hi all

Hope this is an appropriate group to ask this question.

I have a newish house (just under 4 years old) and the heating system is
powered by a Potterton Suprima 60 wall mounted boiler.

He called an engineer who said that this was a known fault with this boiler
and that later models had been fitted with a modified electronic control
unit to cure the problem. However, to fit the modified unit to his boiler
would cost £250.00!!

It's a simple DIY job

Potterton deny that there is a problem with this boiler.

As they do, every time

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

From the other side, yes, many times a day

See my website - www.cetltd.com

--
geoff
Paul

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Paul
writes
Hi all

Hope this is an appropriate group to ask this question.

I have a newish house (just under 4 years old) and the heating system is
powered by a Potterton Suprima 60 wall mounted boiler.

He called an engineer who said that this was a known fault with this

boiler
and that later models had been fitted with a modified electronic control
unit to cure the problem. However, to fit the modified unit to his

boiler
would cost £250.00!!

It's a simple DIY job

Potterton deny that there is a problem with this boiler.

As they do, every time

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

From the other side, yes, many times a day

See my website - www.cetltd.com

Thanks for this Geoff - I will check the part number - looking at the boiler
manual it seems fairly straightforward to change the PCB, and as far as I
can make out, it doesn't involve disturbing any gas carrying parts, so does
that mean I can do it legally?

Also, our neighbour distributed a circular letter to all the neighbouring
houses (all built around the same time) and within 12 hours, a further 10
people had rung him to say they had exactly the same problem.........!

Any discounts for bulk orders...?? ;-)

regards

Paul

Paul

Not yet another! Duff Suprima thread. Biggest heap of ****e around
renowned for the duff **** poor quality of their control boards(
--

Ah... just spotted it - sorry folks!

Seems I am not alone......... :-(

tony sayer

In article , Paul
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Paul
writes
Hi all

Hope this is an appropriate group to ask this question.

I have a newish house (just under 4 years old) and the heating system is
powered by a Potterton Suprima 60 wall mounted boiler.

He called an engineer who said that this was a known fault with this

boiler
and that later models had been fitted with a modified electronic control
unit to cure the problem. However, to fit the modified unit to his

boiler
would cost £250.00!!

It's a simple DIY job

Potterton deny that there is a problem with this boiler.

As they do, every time

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

From the other side, yes, many times a day

See my website - www.cetltd.com

Thanks for this Geoff - I will check the part number - looking at the boiler
manual it seems fairly straightforward to change the PCB, and as far as I
can make out, it doesn't involve disturbing any gas carrying parts, so does
that mean I can do it legally?

Also, our neighbour distributed a circular letter to all the neighbouring
houses (all built around the same time) and within 12 hours, a further 10
people had rung him to say they had exactly the same problem.........!

Any discounts for bulk orders...?? ;-)

regards

Paul

Not for a moment wishing to put geoff out of a job, shouldn't you be
making Potterton's life a misery by complaining en masse?....
--
Tony Sayer

Paul

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Paul
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Paul
writes
Hi all

Hope this is an appropriate group to ask this question.

I have a newish house (just under 4 years old) and the heating system

is
powered by a Potterton Suprima 60 wall mounted boiler.

He called an engineer who said that this was a known fault with this

boiler
and that later models had been fitted with a modified electronic

control
unit to cure the problem. However, to fit the modified unit to his

boiler
would cost £250.00!!

It's a simple DIY job

Potterton deny that there is a problem with this boiler.

As they do, every time

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

From the other side, yes, many times a day

See my website - www.cetltd.com

Thanks for this Geoff - I will check the part number - looking at the

boiler
manual it seems fairly straightforward to change the PCB, and as far as I
can make out, it doesn't involve disturbing any gas carrying parts, so

does
that mean I can do it legally?

Also, our neighbour distributed a circular letter to all the neighbouring
houses (all built around the same time) and within 12 hours, a further 10
people had rung him to say they had exactly the same problem.........!

Any discounts for bulk orders...?? ;-)

regards

Paul

Not for a moment wishing to put geoff out of a job, shouldn't you be
making Potterton's life a misery by complaining en masse?....
--

Already under way Tony........ copies of my letter to Potterton have been
circulated to neighbours, as will print outs of these replies as long as

raden

In message , Paul
writes

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

From the other side, yes, many times a day

See my website - www.cetltd.com

Thanks for this Geoff - I will check the part number - looking at the boiler
manual it seems fairly straightforward to change the PCB, and as far as I
can make out, it doesn't involve disturbing any gas carrying parts, so does
that mean I can do it legally?

It's just a matter of removing power to the boiler, pulling the panel
down, removing the connectors, undoing 4 screws, replacement being the
reverse of removal.

To work on your boiler, you have to be "competent"

.... the definition of which is left to the reader

Also, our neighbour distributed a circular letter to all the neighbouring
houses (all built around the same time) and within 12 hours, a further 10
people had rung him to say they had exactly the same problem.........!

Any discounts for bulk orders...?? ;-)

They are shifting so fast at the moment, I'm not sure I can handle 12 in
parallel, it might have to be a couple at the time

.... oh and potterton's current "reason" for failure of suprima pcbs is
that they are sited too close to the heat exchanger. Move over at the
comedy club, there's a new act in town !

--
geoff
raden

In message , tony sayer
writes

Not for a moment wishing to put geoff out of a job, shouldn't you be
making Potterton's life a misery by complaining en masse?....

Unless 1000's of people actually get together and get the media
interested, I think it's just head banging against a brick wall.
POtterton just don't seem to give a ****.

--
geoff
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raden
.... oh and potterton's current "reason" for failure of suprima pcbs is
that they are sited too close to the heat exchanger. Move over at the
comedy club, there's a new act in town !
That's interesting....

I have a Suprima 50 and over the last 3 years since install, its had a new solenoid about a year ago and a new HT lead (3 weeks ago). Now its developed a problem where gas ignites and then after 3-4 seconds extinguishes. The three re-tries happen and then we enter lockout.

We thought we'd take the tried and trusted route of total power off to the boiler and leave for 5 minutes. 7 out of 10 times the fault goes away for a few hours but then returns. So... when time passes with no activity... it get better... is there a logical conclusion? Duff capacitor? Heat failure?

Either way Geoff, expect a call from me soon for a new PCB!

By the way, what's the difference between these parts on your website Geoff:

Potterton - Suprima - 407750 - 114954
Potterton - Suprima - 510216 - 114954

My user guide refers to 114954 PCB Issue 04..?

Cheers

Chris

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:33:53 +0100, tapiochre wrote:

raden Wrote:
[...]

Apparently there are 13 issues of the PCB and now they have introduced a
complete redesign.

raden

In message , tapiochre
writes

By the way, what's the difference between these parts on your website
Geoff:

Potterton - Suprima - 407750 - 114954

Has a 3mm square reset switch which sits behind a "membrane"

Potterton - Suprima - 510216 - 114954

Has a 6mm circular switch which sticks through the panel

--
geoff
raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes

Potterton - Suprima - 407750 - 114954
Potterton - Suprima - 510216 - 114954

My user guide refers to 114954 PCB Issue 04..?

Apparently there are 13 issues of the PCB and now they have introduced a
complete redesign.

Complete with complete new panel and interface loom. It's made by
Honeywell. I have one which a customer gave me to look at. They're still
not out of warranty, so I'm not seeing them coming through yet, although
the reports I've heard so far is that they are just as reliable as the
previous suprima pcbs

--
geoff
Rob

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:11:42 +0100, Ed Sirett
wrote:

Apparently there are 13 issues of the PCB and now they have introduced a
complete redesign.

But obviously cough there isn't a design fault.

-Rob
raden

In message , Rob
writes
wrote:

Apparently there are 13 issues of the PCB and now they have introduced a
complete redesign.

But obviously cough there isn't a design fault.

Potterton say "there is no issue" with the pcb

.... which is strange, since about half the boiler pcbs I repair are
Suprimas

--
geoff

Charles Fearnley

"tapiochre" wrote in message

raden Wrote:
.... oh and potterton's current "reason" for failure of suprima pcbs is
that they are sited too close to the heat exchanger. Move over at the
comedy club, there's a new act in town !

That's interesting....

I have a Suprima 50 and over the last 3 years since install, its had a
new solenoid about a year ago and a new HT lead (3 weeks ago). Now its
developed a problem where gas ignites and then after 3-4 seconds
extinguishes. The three re-tries happen and then we enter lockout.

Have a look at the spark gap - on my suprima this is problematic if too big,
and can produce these symptoms. The reason is that the pcb flame sensor uses
the gap, as well as for ignition sparks, and if it the gap is too wide the
boiler decides there is no flame and shuts down. I got best results at just
under the specified gap - cant remember what this is without digging out the
manual, but could check if you don't have it to hand.

Charles F

Ed Sirett

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:57:23 +0000, raden wrote:

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes

Potterton - Suprima - 407750 - 114954
Potterton - Suprima - 510216 - 114954

My user guide refers to 114954 PCB Issue 04..?

Apparently there are 13 issues of the PCB and now they have introduced a
complete redesign.

Complete with complete new panel and interface loom. It's made by
Honeywell. I have one which a customer gave me to look at. They're still
not out of warranty, so I'm not seeing them coming through yet, although
the reports I've heard so far is that they are just as reliable as the
previous suprima pcbs

I can see you smiling.

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:07:49 +0000, raden wrote:

In message , Rob
writes
wrote:

Apparently there are 13 issues of the PCB and now they have introduced a
complete redesign.

But obviously cough there isn't a design fault.

Potterton say "there is no issue" with the pcb

... which is strange, since about half the boiler pcbs I repair are
Suprimas

And there is no way that even half the boiler in the country are
Pottertons let alone Suprimas.

raden

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:57:23 +0000, raden wrote:

In message .uk, Ed
Sirett writes

Potterton - Suprima - 407750 - 114954
Potterton - Suprima - 510216 - 114954

My user guide refers to 114954 PCB Issue 04..?

Apparently there are 13 issues of the PCB and now they have introduced a
complete redesign.

Complete with complete new panel and interface loom. It's made by
Honeywell. I have one which a customer gave me to look at. They're still
not out of warranty, so I'm not seeing them coming through yet, although
the reports I've heard so far is that they are just as reliable as the
previous suprima pcbs

I can see you smiling.

Well, I have to say the Suprima now has competition in the shape of the
Micron, I had 61 micron pcbs come in yesterday !

--
geoff
Junior Member

I had the overheat 'cut out' on my suprema boiler, this became more frequent over time until ultimatley it was in permanent lock out. I read this forum and contacted CET they advised my of the replacement PCB. It tokk me about 15 mins to take out 4 screws and about 6 conectors and put the replacement PCB back in and reconnect. It is so simple to do. Since replacing the board 4 weeks ago I have not had a problem at all!

My advise try changing the PCB for £50 from http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp its a lot cheaper than a new boiler!

Its definatley a manufacturing fault as all of my neighbours have the same problem (houses built around 4 years ago by Barrett).

raden

In message , paulws
writes

I had the overheat 'cut out' on my suprema boiler, this became more
frequent over time until ultimatley it was in permanent lock out. I
read this forum and contacted CET they advised my of the replacement
PCB. It tokk me about 15 mins to take out 4 screws and about 6
conectors and put the replacement PCB back in and reconnect. It is so
simple to do. Since replacing the board 4 weeks ago I have not had a
problem at all!

I should hope not

--
geoff

Potterton Suprima 80 "Lockout" David Longley UK diy 25 April 26th 05 11:49 PM
Potterton suprima Jim Thorogood UK diy 4 December 20th 04 11:53 PM
Potterton Suprima 30 lockout Mike W UK diy 3 November 17th 04 08:21 PM
Potterton Surima LED fault codes Jerry. UK diy 3 April 24th 04 04:14 PM
Potterton Suprima 100 update Richard Savage UK diy 2 April 19th 04 08:35 PM