Mike W

Default Potterton Suprima 30 lockout

I have a Potterton Suprima 30 and guess what it locks out! The house
is 5 years old so guess the boiler is, surley the last owner did not
choose the model!!

Playing around and logging the times it resets, it seems to happen
more often when the hot water is hot in the storage tank. Also the
water does seem to get very hot!? The other day it would simply not
come back on until I emptied the hot water out of the tank!

Talking to my dad (ex plumber) and brother (ex Potterton Suprima
owner) We feel it could be the following in this order….

1. Faulty overheat sensor
2. Faulty thermostat allowing the water to get too hot and triggering
the above. (This is taken from another post so unsure if they mean the
one on the tank?)
3. Faulty PCB - taken on basis most people seem to have this.

If you could be kind enought to log your view and which part you would
change first. I see Cet Ltd can change the board for a good price but
guessing I could get a sensor cheaper and maybe worth trying first?
(Where would you advised getting these from?)

Many thanks for taking the time to read and reply with any comments, I
will post any more findings I have, and hopfully a resalution of the
problem befroe too long, its dam cold in the mornings!!
Set Square

Mike W wrote:

[...]

Can you tell us a bit more about the rest of the system - whether fully
pumped, what zone valves, room stats, cylinder stats, TRVs etc. you've got,
whether there is a by-pass circuit, and how the pump is controlled.

It's distinctly possible that the boiler is *actually* overheating due to
external factors, and is not faulty in itself.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Hugo Nebula

On 15 Nov 2004 16:30:49 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named
(Mike W) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I have a Potterton Suprima 30 and guess what it locks out!

If you could be kind enought to log your view and which part you would
change first. I see Cet Ltd can change the board for a good price but
guessing I could get a sensor cheaper and maybe worth trying first?
(Where would you advised getting these from?)

My Potterton Suprima 30 locks out on occasions (and yes, mine came
with the house).

Recently going through the flow chart, it appeared to be a fault with
the thermistor (which I replaced - £13.59 inc PP from
www.keeptheheaton.com), but on closer examination the connectors on
the PCB were loose. I soldered them back, which seemed to fix the
problem in the short term.

Last weekend, it locked out again two or three times; it sounded like
the water was beginning to boil in the boiler, so maybe the
temperature cutout is doing its job. I think the system needs
flushing.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is, "if no-one on the internet wants
raden

In message , Mike W
writes
I have a Potterton Suprima 30 and guess what it locks out! The house
is 5 years old so guess the boiler is, surley the last owner did not
choose the model!!

3. Faulty PCB - taken on basis most people seem to have this.

If you could be kind enought to log your view and which part you would
change first. I see Cet Ltd can change the board for a good price but
guessing I could get a sensor cheaper and maybe worth trying first?
(Where would you advised getting these from?)

Many thanks for taking the time to read and reply with any comments, I
will post any more findings I have, and hopfully a resalution of the
problem befroe too long, its dam cold in the mornings!!

What's the price of a sensor? £15 ?

one of my pcbs £45

probability that it's the pcb ... about 80%

Have you tested the sensor?

I can't remember the resistance offhand at room temp (I seldom test them
myself anymore) but it should be IIRC several 100k.

If it isn't then the overwhelming probability is that it's the pcb

--
geoff

Potterton Suprima Lockout Roly UK diy 4 July 18th 05 10:20 PM
Potterton Suprima 80 "Lockout" David Longley UK diy 25 April 26th 05 11:49 PM
Grundfos Alhpa & Potterton Suprima 'bug'? Rory UK diy 6 October 28th 04 01:32 AM
Grudfos Alpha & Potterton Suprima 'bug'? Rory UK diy 28 October 28th 04 12:44 AM
Potterton Suprima 100 update Richard Savage UK diy 2 April 19th 04 08:35 PM