antgel

Default Built in washing machine

Hi all,

My washing machine has just packed up. I'm considering a "built-in"
washing machine as a replacement because my kitchen is about to join my
lounge when I knock the wall down.

1. What makes a washing machine "built in"? Is it simply shallower to
allow a door infront of it?
2. Would one of these machines work without being built in (for the
time being - I need to clean my clothes!).

Antony (no private email please)

Peter

"antgel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

My washing machine has just packed up. I'm considering a "built-in"
washing machine as a replacement because my kitchen is about to join my
lounge when I knock the wall down.

1. What makes a washing machine "built in"? Is it simply shallower to
allow a door infront of it?
2. Would one of these machines work without being built in (for the
time being - I need to clean my clothes!).

Antony (no private email please)

The machine is sized to fit and has fixings on its front for the cabinet
door, yes it will work just the same freestanding

Peter

antgel

Peter wrote:
"antgel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

My washing machine has just packed up. I'm considering a

"built-in"
washing machine as a replacement because my kitchen is about to

join my
lounge when I knock the wall down.

1. What makes a washing machine "built in"? Is it simply shallower

allow a door infront of it?
2. Would one of these machines work without being built in (for the
time being - I need to clean my clothes!).

Antony (no private email please)

The machine is sized to fit and has fixings on its front for the

cabinet
door, yes it will work just the same freestanding

Peter

Thanks for that. I'm planning on an Ikea kitchen, and need to find out
if they even sell a unit that can hold a built-in washing machine.
They don't supply washing machines, so it's quite possible that they
don't have a suitable fitting. There is an oven unit -
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ts=10110*10652
but I'm not sure if that is suitable, and it doesn't have a door.

Another question - does a built-in washing machine stand on the floor,
or in
the kitchen cabinet?

Antony

Lurch

On 12 Mar 2005 14:01:14 -0800, "antgel" strung
together this:

Thanks for that. I'm planning on an Ikea kitchen, and need to find out
if they even sell a unit that can hold a built-in washing machine.
They don't supply washing machines, so it's quite possible that they
don't have a suitable fitting. There is an oven unit -
but I'm not sure if that is suitable, and it doesn't have a door.

No, oven housings will be designed for the oven to sit on the bottom,
washers don't. You can get semi-recessed built in washing machines
that just sit inside the cabinet. The door of the cabinet opens and
there it is, a washing machine.
Not being familiar with Ikea kitchens I can't be of much more use.

Another question - does a built-in washing machine stand on the floor,
or in
the kitchen cabinet?

On the floor.
--

SJW
Mark

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:19:07 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

On 12 Mar 2005 14:01:14 -0800, "antgel" strung
together this:

Thanks for that. I'm planning on an Ikea kitchen, and need to find out
if they even sell a unit that can hold a built-in washing machine.
They don't supply washing machines, so it's quite possible that they
don't have a suitable fitting. There is an oven unit -
but I'm not sure if that is suitable, and it doesn't have a door.

No, oven housings will be designed for the oven to sit on the bottom,
washers don't. You can get semi-recessed built in washing machines
that just sit inside the cabinet. The door of the cabinet opens and
there it is, a washing machine.
Not being familiar with Ikea kitchens I can't be of much more use.

It's likely that a 'built-in' w/m will need no cabinet. It will just
sit between other units and have a matching door. The plinth should
also fit in front of the machine to hide it from view.

Mark

washing machine move mike guitar UK diy 1 January 26th 05 10:38 PM
HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 7th 05 11:32 PM
Zanussi FL1012 Washing Machine fault James UK diy 5 August 4th 04 01:45 PM
Box/Valve to prevent washing machine hose break and flooding? kevins_news2 Home Repair 19 April 27th 04 05:16 PM
walking washing machine Kerry Hoskin UK diy 10 February 29th 04 11:15 PM