Jim Ingram

Default Notify buiding control?

Hi,

I'm intending to make some internal alterations as illustrated by the
diagram that can be found he

http://odin.prohosting.com/jimrock/house.jpg

Should I need to inform building control. Would there be any issues
if I was to put a large opening in the wall between the kitchen and
lounge (sort of an extra large serving hatch/breakfast bar to give a
more open plan feel).

Thanks

Jim

Lobster

"Jim Ingram" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm intending to make some internal alterations as illustrated by the
diagram that can be found he

http://odin.prohosting.com/jimrock/house.jpg

Can't read it - graphic is too lo-res (unless it's just me?)!

David

Hugo Nebula

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:58:58 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Jim
Ingram" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I'm intending to make some internal alterations as illustrated by the
diagram that can be found he

http://odin.prohosting.com/jimrock/house.jpg

Should I need to inform building control. Would there be any issues
if I was to put a large opening in the wall between the kitchen and
lounge

A Building Regulations application is required for work which could at
any stage adversely affect the structure and the fire safety. Any
replacement boiler is also controlled, but no application is required
if it's installed by a CORGI.

Looking at your plan, the only controllable work would appear to be
the removal of the boiler room wall(s) which may support one or more
floor joists above. Either this (these) joist(s) will be replaced, or
it (they) will be trimmed off the joists either side. Providing the
wall between the kitchen and living room is not load-bearing then an
opening in this wall would not be structural, but if it's masonry you
should put a lintel in there.

Whichever, these are structural alterations and you should submit a
Building Notice (I'm assuming you're in England or Wales). An
estimate of less than £1000 would be reasonable, I'm sure.
Peter Taylor

"Jim Ingram" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm intending to make some internal alterations as illustrated by the
diagram that can be found he

http://odin.prohosting.com/jimrock/house.jpg

Should I need to inform building control. Would there be any issues
if I was to put a large opening in the wall between the kitchen and
lounge (sort of an extra large serving hatch/breakfast bar to give a
more open plan feel).

Thanks

Jim

Jim, firstly it's very difficult (and dangerous) to give reliable advice on this
without seeing the house. Forgive me, but your terminology is incorrect in
places, suggesting you might not be totally sure about what you're planning.

The age and layout of the house suggests the roof is probably built of trussed
rafters which do not need any intermediate support, so it's unlikely there will
be any roof load on the ground floor internal walls. However, these walls could
well be supporting the first floor joists, which carry the dead loads of the
ceiling, floorboards and first floor partitions, as well as the first floor live
load. For this reason you should get someone in who knows what they're doing
when designing structural alterations. If he/she finds that loadbearing walls
need to be removed then it will certainly be necessary to involve Building
Control. Also, changes in layout like this could well have other Building
Regulations implications, such as fire safety, danger from falling etc etc.

The best thing I can tell you is to take your proposals along to the council
offices and ask a Building Control Officer for advice.

Peter

Jim Ingram

"Peter Taylor" wrote in
message ...
"Jim Ingram" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Peter,

Well one of the joists is not inserted into the party wall (all the
other joists on this side of the property are cemented into the party
wall) and therefore must be supported by the boilerhouse wall so I
guess that means I need to contact them anyway. When visiting the BCO
what information would he be expecting to see. I could take some
digital photos to show how the layout of the joists/walls. Would he
want to see a picture of inside the roof? Any idea roughly how long
it takes to get a building notice through.

Cheers

Jim

Peter Taylor

Jim Ingram wrote

Thanks Peter,

Well one of the joists is not inserted into the party wall (all the
other joists on this side of the property are cemented into the party
wall) and therefore must be supported by the boilerhouse wall so I
guess that means I need to contact them anyway. When visiting the BCO
what information would he be expecting to see. I could take some
digital photos to show how the layout of the joists/walls. Would he
want to see a picture of inside the roof? Any idea roughly how long
it takes to get a building notice through.

Cheers

Jim

Hello Jim

To advise you on the need for Building Regulations approval he'll need at least
the existing and proposed ground and first floor plans, showing the 1st floor
joist layout and any work you are proposing to do to them. Also a picture of
the roof trusses if it would confirm they don't need intermediate support. In
my experience, the BCO is most likely to tell you to submit a Building Notice
and a cheque first, then he will come to the house to see for himself.

A Building Notice is a simple form you submit with a site location plan and a
cheque - you do not need to submit any working drawings with the Notice. Once
it's been submitted you can start the work straight away, but it is your
responsibility to comply with the Regulations. If you do anything wrong you may
be at risk of having to expose the work or, worse, pull it down and rebuild.
Although they are usually very helpful, you can't expect the BCO to design the
work for you. That's why you need to contact a Building Surveyor or Structural
Engineer in case structural details or calculations are needed. Nobody can
advise you more than this without seeing the house.

Peter

Lobster

"Jim Ingram" wrote in message ...
want to see a picture of inside the roof? Any idea roughly how long
it takes to get a building notice through.

At my local council it's a day or two - different for a full plans application.
David