Hugo Nebula

Default Notify buiding control?

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:58:58 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Jim
Ingram" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I'm intending to make some internal alterations as illustrated by the
diagram that can be found he

http://odin.prohosting.com/jimrock/house.jpg

Should I need to inform building control. Would there be any issues
if I was to put a large opening in the wall between the kitchen and
lounge

A Building Regulations application is required for work which could at
any stage adversely affect the structure and the fire safety. Any
replacement boiler is also controlled, but no application is required
if it's installed by a CORGI.

Looking at your plan, the only controllable work would appear to be
the removal of the boiler room wall(s) which may support one or more
floor joists above. Either this (these) joist(s) will be replaced, or
it (they) will be trimmed off the joists either side. Providing the
wall between the kitchen and living room is not load-bearing then an
opening in this wall would not be structural, but if it's masonry you
should put a lintel in there.

Whichever, these are structural alterations and you should submit a
Building Notice (I'm assuming you're in England or Wales). An
estimate of less than £1000 would be reasonable, I'm sure.