Peter Taylor

Default Notify buiding control?

"Jim Ingram" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm intending to make some internal alterations as illustrated by the
diagram that can be found he

http://odin.prohosting.com/jimrock/house.jpg

Should I need to inform building control. Would there be any issues
if I was to put a large opening in the wall between the kitchen and
lounge (sort of an extra large serving hatch/breakfast bar to give a
more open plan feel).

Thanks

Jim

Jim, firstly it's very difficult (and dangerous) to give reliable advice on this
without seeing the house. Forgive me, but your terminology is incorrect in
places, suggesting you might not be totally sure about what you're planning.

The age and layout of the house suggests the roof is probably built of trussed
rafters which do not need any intermediate support, so it's unlikely there will
be any roof load on the ground floor internal walls. However, these walls could
well be supporting the first floor joists, which carry the dead loads of the
ceiling, floorboards and first floor partitions, as well as the first floor live
load. For this reason you should get someone in who knows what they're doing
when designing structural alterations. If he/she finds that loadbearing walls
need to be removed then it will certainly be necessary to involve Building
Control. Also, changes in layout like this could well have other Building
Regulations implications, such as fire safety, danger from falling etc etc.

The best thing I can tell you is to take your proposals along to the council
offices and ask a Building Control Officer for advice.

Peter