John Wilson

Default Driveway Planning permission ? ? ?

do you need planning permission to turn your side garden into a driveway?

I just got monoblock done and one of my neighbours said I was in
trouble..... what's he on about??

TIA.........

Mike

"John Wilson" wrote in message
do you need planning permission to turn your side garden into a driveway?

I just got monoblock done and one of my neighbours said I was in
trouble..... what's he on about??

If you're in a conservation area then probably. In a National Park, or the
building is listed, then definitely.

Rick

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:12:58 GMT, "John Wilson"
wrote:

do you need planning permission to turn your side garden into a driveway?

I just got monoblock done and one of my neighbours said I was in
trouble..... what's he on about??

TIA.........

it any of it is a footpath, then you have piles of red tape, and if
its a brildleway move out quick ........

Rick

John Wilson

it's in a city, most ppl have driveways around here so I don't see why there
would be trouble

I think it's just a jealous neighbour lol

wrote:

do you need planning permission to turn your side garden into a driveway?

I just got monoblock done and one of my neighbours said I was in
trouble..... what's he on about??

TIA.........

it any of it is a footpath, then you have piles of red tape, and if
its a brildleway move out quick ........

Rick

Owain

John Wilson wrote:
do you need planning permission to turn your side garden into a driveway?

Not normally; conservation area and listed building you might.

If however you have created or altered an access on to the highway, then
you do need PP and also permission from the highways authority.

I just got monoblock done and one of my neighbours said I was in
trouble..... what's he on about??

Maybe he doesn't like monoblock.

Owain

John Anderton

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:01:52 +0000, Owain
wrote:

John Wilson wrote:
do you need planning permission to turn your side garden into a driveway?

Not normally; conservation area and listed building you might.

Certainly not in a conservation area, I'm not too sure about listed
building but I don't think so there either.

This topic came up when I had a chat to a planning officer a couple of
years ago and I seem to remember his words were :-
"You can cover the whole of your garden in concrete as far as we're
concerned"

He could have been mistaken though, of course :-)

If however you have created or altered an access on to the highway, then
you do need PP and also permission from the highways authority.

Again, it's all a bit vague but I think that's only the case for A, B
or C roads. Anything unclassified is OK, I think.

I just got monoblock done and one of my neighbours said I was in
trouble..... what's he on about??

Maybe he doesn't like monoblock.

:-)

Cheers,

John

John Miller

"John Wilson" wrote in message
do you need planning permission to turn your side garden into a driveway?

I just got monoblock done and one of my neighbours said I was in
trouble..... what's he on about??

TIA.........

It's possible that there are some restrictive covenants for your area,
particularly if it's a leasehold property. My deeds, for instance, insist
that the front garden can only be grass and that I cannot even plant a small
bush. I block-paved it about 10 years ago! Most other people have similarly
ignored the restrictions, which don't reflect today's multi-car owning
society.

John Miller

Broadback

John Miller wrote:
"John Wilson" wrote in message

do you need planning permission to turn your side garden into a driveway?

I just got monoblock done and one of my neighbours said I was in
trouble..... what's he on about??

TIA.........

There are some restrictions. First how do you get in and out of your
new driveway? If you have made a new vehicle entrance then yes, and
amongst others the highways bods will come to look. Also if you have
any preservation order trees whose canopies are over your new driveway
they have to have their 6 pennethworth. I had a large area pavioured
myself a few years ago, and wanted to move the drive entrance. The
highways people were over the moon, much safer, which was why I wanted
to move it, but the tree people said no way, it may damage the trees.
Not likely I would of thought, but that was that. :-(

--
Please do not email me at
All emails to that address are automatically

John Miller wrote:
"John Wilson" wrote in message
do you need planning permission to turn your side garden into a

driveway?

I just got monoblock done and one of my neighbours said I was in
trouble..... what's he on about??

TIA.........

It's possible that there are some restrictive covenants for your

area,
particularly if it's a leasehold property. My deeds, for instance,

insist
that the front garden can only be grass and that I cannot even plant

a small
bush. I block-paved it about 10 years ago! Most other people have

similarly
ignored the restrictions, which don't reflect today's multi-car

owning
society.

John Miller

It usually comes under "permitted development" unless like others have
said theres a restrictive covenant about it. This also applies to
porches, conservatories etc. If you need to create new access from the
road over a non-dropped curb then you need PP as far as I remember (to
get the curb dropped and access allowed over the pathway)