Richard Williamson

Default Planning permission - advice needed

Hi all,
I am looking to have a conservatory built but have a slight
complication with planning permission.

I currently have a "garage" (actually split into a combined kids'
playroom and hobby workshop) which measures 7 x 8m (approx 112 cubic
metres). This didn't require planning permission as it was more than
5m from the house. However, the conservatory will come within 5m of
the "garage" and so will need planning permission.

The question is, will it be detrimental to describe the garage as a
combined workshop / playroom rather than a garage. Obviously, I would
like to be as honest as possible.

Regards
Richard
Owain

"Richard Williamson" wrote
| I currently have a "garage" (actually split into a combined kids'
| playroom and hobby workshop) which measures 7 x 8m (approx 112 cubic
| metres). This didn't require planning permission as it was more than
| 5m from the house. However, the conservatory will come within 5m of
| the "garage" and so will need planning permission.
| The question is, will it be detrimental to describe the garage as a
| combined workshop / playroom rather than a garage. Obviously, I would
| like to be as honest as possible.

What did you describe it as / to what standards did you build it for the
Building Control application you made at the time?

Owain

dg

Planning aren't really bothered what you call it.

You should be able to do the conservatory under permitted development
though, and so don't have to make a formal application for permission.

dg

"Richard Williamson" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,
I am looking to have a conservatory built but have a slight
complication with planning permission.

I currently have a "garage" (actually split into a combined kids'
playroom and hobby workshop) which measures 7 x 8m (approx 112 cubic
metres). This didn't require planning permission as it was more than
5m from the house. However, the conservatory will come within 5m of
the "garage" and so will need planning permission.

The question is, will it be detrimental to describe the garage as a
combined workshop / playroom rather than a garage. Obviously, I would
like to be as honest as possible.

Regards
Richard

Peter Taylor

Richard Williamson wrote

Hi all,
I am looking to have a conservatory built but have a slight
complication with planning permission.

I currently have a "garage" (actually split into a combined kids'
playroom and hobby workshop) which measures 7 x 8m (approx 112 cubic
metres). This didn't require planning permission as it was more than
5m from the house. However, the conservatory will come within 5m of
the "garage" and so will need planning permission.

The question is, will it be detrimental to describe the garage as a
combined workshop / playroom rather than a garage. Obviously, I would
like to be as honest as possible.

In normal circumstances, subject to certain conditions and as long as the
external appearance is not altered, you could change the use of a garage into
living accommodation without requiring PP, as they both fall under the same Use
Class - C3 Single Dwellinghouse. But if, say, you started running a business
using the garage then it would change the Use Class and you would then need PP
for Change of Use. Please note I am not talking about Building Regs here. You
would need BR approval to change a garage into habitable accommodation, but I
think if you gave the playroom a less habitable name (Storeroom? Wendy House?)
then this would probably be ignored. The only way you will know this for
certain is to talk to Building Control.

The part that puzzles me is "This didn't require planning permission as it was
more than 5m from the house". This is not a reason for not requiring PP I've
ever heard before - I think it's much more likely you didn't need PP because it
was counted as Permitted Development, and you now need PP for the Conservatory
because you've used up your Permitted Development allowance. If this is true
then the current use of the garage is perfectly "legal", but you have no proof
of this in writing..

This whole situation has the makings of becoming a problem when/if you come to
sell the property. I suggest you ask the Planners to confirm the legality of
the "garage" at the same time as considering the application for the
Conservatory - you will then have proof of legality in writing for both
buildings. Ask them for a "Certificate of Lawful Development", which should go
with your deeds.

HTH
Peter

Richard Williamson