timegoesby

Default Veranda Planning Permission?

If I install a ground floor veranda on the garden side of the house,
with the roof of the veranda being the same as the main house roof
tiles, uprights supporting the veranda roof, a rail and fully open all
around, as you see in houses in hot countries, will I need planning
permission?

Could I build it to a level that all I need do in the future is istall
glass doors and windows all around, insulate under the tiles in the
small area under the veranda roof, and then have an extension room?

Anyone know?

thanks
BillR

timegoesby wrote:
If I install a ground floor veranda on the garden side of the house,
with the roof of the veranda being the same as the main house roof
tiles, uprights supporting the veranda roof, a rail and fully open all
around, as you see in houses in hot countries, will I need planning
permission?

Could I build it to a level that all I need do in the future is istall
glass doors and windows all around, insulate under the tiles in the
small area under the veranda roof, and then have an extension room?

Depends on the size and if you already have anything eating into your
"permitted development" allowance.
Why not ask your local authority? You will need to conform to building regs
anyway.

Andy Hall

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:07:36 +0100, "BillR"
wrote:

timegoesby wrote:
If I install a ground floor veranda on the garden side of the house,
with the roof of the veranda being the same as the main house roof
tiles, uprights supporting the veranda roof, a rail and fully open all
around, as you see in houses in hot countries, will I need planning
permission?

Could I build it to a level that all I need do in the future is istall
glass doors and windows all around, insulate under the tiles in the
small area under the veranda roof, and then have an extension room?

Depends on the size and if you already have anything eating into your
"permitted development" allowance.
Why not ask your local authority? You will need to conform to building regs
anyway.

Building Regulations have a similar set of exemptions for this type of
structure that can bypass official involvement.

The ODPM web site has details, as will the local authority.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Tony Williams

In article ,
timegoesby wrote:

If I install a ground floor veranda on the garden side of the
house, with the roof of the veranda being the same as the main
house roof tiles, uprights supporting the veranda roof, a rail and
fully open all around, as you see in houses in hot countries, will
I need planning permission?

They are just starting a veranda on a house a few hundred yards
away. It did require a full planning application. Since it is
in our view we also got a letter from the council, with a brief
description of the application, asking us to lodge any
objections we might have (we didn't).

--
Tony Williams.
IMM

"Tony Williams" wrote in message
In article ,
timegoesby wrote:

If I install a ground floor veranda on the garden side of the
house, with the roof of the veranda being the same as the main
house roof tiles, uprights supporting the veranda roof, a rail and
fully open all around, as you see in houses in hot countries, will
I need planning permission?

They are just starting a veranda on a house a few hundred yards
away. It did require a full planning application. Since it is
in our view we also got a letter from the council, with a brief
description of the application, asking us to lodge any
objections we might have (we didn't).

A veranda is just a small roof hung off the side of the outside wall with a
few upright supports; it may even have just a decking floor. Or look at it
as decking with a roof hung off the side of the house. Amazing, in that a
conservatory which can be 30% of the house floor area and fully enclosed,
have no planning or building control, when a veranda is open on all side and
is rather much like an awning. Maybe an awning is the better approach if it
is not to be fully made into an extension room.

---

Peter Crosland

A veranda is just a small roof hung off the side of the outside wall with

few upright supports; it may even have just a decking floor. Or look at

it
as decking with a roof hung off the side of the house. Amazing, in that a
conservatory which can be 30% of the house floor area and fully enclosed,
have no planning or building control,

Such a structure would almost certainly require planning permission and be
subject to building control aswell.

when a veranda is open on all side and
is rather much like an awning. Maybe an awning is the better approach if

it
is not to be fully made into an extension room.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:33:38 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

A veranda is just a small roof hung off the side of the outside wall with

few upright supports; it may even have just a decking floor. Or look at

it
as decking with a roof hung off the side of the house. Amazing, in that a
conservatory which can be 30% of the house floor area and fully enclosed,
have no planning or building control,

Such a structure would almost certainly require planning permission and be
subject to building control aswell.

I don't think so.

From the Building Regulations perspective, a conservatory, porch,
covered yard, covered way or a carport open on at least two sides and
no larger than 30m^2 is exempt as long as it's at ground level only
and any gladd conforms to Part N of the Building Regs. There is also
a requirement regarding separation from the rest of the house and
control of heating arrangements.

Regarding planning permission, a conservatory is exempt if it plus any
existing extensions have a volume of less than 10% of the original
house volume or 50 cu.m for a terraced house, 15% or 70 cu.m for a
semi detached or detached. whichever is greater, as long as it will
not be nearer to the road boundary than the existing property.

It isn't hard to meet these requirements even with quite a large
conservatory and not be required to seek "permission" or "control".

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:15:20 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

A veranda is just a small roof hung off the side of the outside wall

with
few upright supports; it may even have just a decking floor. Or look

at
it
as decking with a roof hung off the side of the house. Amazing, in

that a
conservatory which can be 30% of the house floor area and fully

enclosed,
have no planning or building control,

Such a structure would almost certainly require planning permission and

be
subject to building control aswell.

I don't think so.

From the Building Regulations perspective, a conservatory, porch,
covered yard, covered way or a carport open on at least two sides and
no larger than 30m^2 is exempt as long as it's at ground level only
and any gladd conforms to Part N of the Building Regs. There is also
a requirement regarding separation from the rest of the house and
control of heating arrangements.

Regarding planning permission, a conservatory is exempt if it plus any
existing extensions have a volume of less than 10% of the original
house volume or 50 cu.m for a terraced house, 15% or 70 cu.m for a
semi detached or detached. whichever is greater, as long as it will
not be nearer to the road boundary than the existing property.

It isn't hard to meet these requirements even with quite a large
conservatory and not be required to seek "permission" or "control".

I think Peter was referring to the veranda not the conservatory.

Possibly, but carports, covered ways and covered areas are all grouped
together for exemption anyway.

Take a look on "bruiser's" web site.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Peter Crosland

Regarding planning permission, a conservatory is exempt if it plus any
existing extensions have a volume of less than 10% of the original
house volume or 50 cu.m for a terraced house, 15% or 70 cu.m for a
semi detached or detached. whichever is greater, as long as it will
not be nearer to the road boundary than the existing property.

It isn't hard to meet these requirements even with quite a large
conservatory and not be required to seek "permission" or "control".

I think Peter was referring to the veranda not the conservatory.

I was! Agreed that if you have a conservatory that meets the requirements
above then you may be exempt from building control approval but that was not
what bthe OP had in mind. He was trying, I think, to build an extension by
stealth and in stages. Others have tried and failed on this kind of scheme.
Also a conservatory may exempt if it is erected by a FENSTRA (Spelling??)
registered contractor.

Possibly, but carports, covered ways and covered areas are all grouped
together for exemption anyway.

Depends on the size.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 20:29:43 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

[...]

FENSA. AIUI, FENSA is all about the replacement window business and
specifically the insulation requirements of Part L1.

Have a look at

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002531.htm#sch2

where it indicates that conservatories are exempt provided that they
are under 30m^2 and that glazing satisfies the requirement of Part N.

Looking at the Approved Doc. to Part N, it appears that only Part N1
applies to dwellings and is about protection against impact etc. I
can't find any reference in this section to any requirement to have
the installation done by a FENSA member to secure exemption. It would
appear to have more to do with the manufacturing standards used.

It would also be a nonsense to say that a conservatory is exempt as
long as part N is complied with, if to do so automatically means a
Building Notice is required.

I can't find any references to conservatories on FENSA's web site,
although obviously some conservatory companies will be since they do
replacement windows as well.

Possibly, but carports, covered ways and covered areas are all grouped
together for exemption anyway.

Depends on the size.

Yep.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Christian McArdle

Could I build it to a level that all I need do in the future is istall
glass doors and windows all around, insulate under the tiles in the
small area under the veranda roof, and then have an extension room?

Be careful. By creating an extension like this, you will still have to prove
that the foundations, floor insulation etc. are all up to scratch. Even if
they comply at initial construction, they will have to comply with whatever
new regulations they dream up when the walls are built. They might also want
the whole lot dug up to prove it. Better to build it as an extension from
scratch.

The building regulations are mostly common sense and mean it won't all fall
down, or burn too much of your precious gas. There is no harm in complying
with them, rather than attempting to circumvent.

Christian.