Andy Hall

Default Veranda Planning Permission?

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 20:29:43 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Regarding planning permission, a conservatory is exempt if it plus any
existing extensions have a volume of less than 10% of the original
house volume or 50 cu.m for a terraced house, 15% or 70 cu.m for a
semi detached or detached. whichever is greater, as long as it will
not be nearer to the road boundary than the existing property.

It isn't hard to meet these requirements even with quite a large
conservatory and not be required to seek "permission" or "control".

I think Peter was referring to the veranda not the conservatory.

I was! Agreed that if you have a conservatory that meets the requirements
above then you may be exempt from building control approval but that was not
what bthe OP had in mind. He was trying, I think, to build an extension by
stealth and in stages. Others have tried and failed on this kind of scheme.
Also a conservatory may exempt if it is erected by a FENSTRA (Spelling??)
registered contractor.

FENSA. AIUI, FENSA is all about the replacement window business and
specifically the insulation requirements of Part L1.

Have a look at

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002531.htm#sch2

where it indicates that conservatories are exempt provided that they
are under 30m^2 and that glazing satisfies the requirement of Part N.

Looking at the Approved Doc. to Part N, it appears that only Part N1
applies to dwellings and is about protection against impact etc. I
can't find any reference in this section to any requirement to have
the installation done by a FENSA member to secure exemption. It would
appear to have more to do with the manufacturing standards used.

It would also be a nonsense to say that a conservatory is exempt as
long as part N is complied with, if to do so automatically means a
Building Notice is required.

I can't find any references to conservatories on FENSA's web site,
although obviously some conservatory companies will be since they do
replacement windows as well.

Possibly, but carports, covered ways and covered areas are all grouped
together for exemption anyway.

Depends on the size.

Yep.

..andy