John Anderton

Default Planning permission - advice needed

On 8 Dec 2003 10:45:23 -0800,
(Richard Williamson) wrote:

Hi all,
I am looking to have a conservatory built but have a slight
complication with planning permission.

I currently have a "garage" (actually split into a combined kids'
playroom and hobby workshop) which measures 7 x 8m (approx 112 cubic
metres). This didn't require planning permission as it was more than
5m from the house. However, the conservatory will come within 5m of
the "garage" and so will need planning permission.

The question is, will it be detrimental to describe the garage as a
combined workshop / playroom rather than a garage. Obviously, I would
like to be as honest as possible.

Personally I'd describe it as a garage if that's how it was orginally
built and that's what it looks like. Calling it a workshop is probably
OK too but the playroom bit may cause problems.

I know at least one poster here found that although the local planners
were quite happy for him to build a shed or garage in his garden, they
insisted that to build an "office", which was identical in size and
shape to the shed, would require planning permission and/or building
regs approval.

Cheers,

John