Gordon Henderson

Default Water Flow Switch..

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea where to get one of these?

A friends combi has a knackered flow-switch - it goes in-line with the
cold feed to turn the flame on when he opens a hot tap... During what
looks like a previous bodge job on the unit, it's developed a crack
and has recently started to leak. (it's the switch body, not just the
push-fit ends it has)

The local sheds don't have any, and neither does screwfix or BES -
although after searching google, I'm starting to think it's going to be
a proprietary product and only an original makers one (Pottertons web
site appeas to be offline, do they offer a spares srvice?)

I did find one place online, but they seem to want £75 for a flow switch
(I don't have the make & model to hand, so it might be the wrong one),
but it can't really be £75 for a mere flow switch, can it???

Gordon
John Rumm

Gordon Henderson wrote:

The local sheds don't have any, and neither does screwfix or BES -
although after searching google, I'm starting to think it's going to be
a proprietary product and only an original makers one (Pottertons web
site appeas to be offline, do they offer a spares srvice?)

Don't know if they can help, but these links were posted a few weeks
back and seem appropriate:

http://www.heatsparesdirect.co.uk/
http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk/
http://www.curzoncare.co.uk/

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Jones

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
[...]

Try Plumb centre, or a local heating merchant

raden

In message , Gordon Henderson
writes
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea where to get one of these?

Have you looked in your local Yellow pages for "Central Heating
Merchants"?

--
geoff
Gordon Henderson

In article , raden wrote:
In message , Gordon Henderson
writes
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea where to get one of these?

Have you looked in your local Yellow pages for "Central Heating
Merchants"?

Er.. That's a paper thing ... and I have this keyboard thing at the end
of my fingers and er ... paper?? :-)

Thanks to the suggestions so-far though. I did find a place online
eventually http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk/ who have the right part
(now that my friend has emailled me the right make & model) for
£42+vat.

It still seems really expensive for what it is though, so I'm going to
keep looking.

Thanks,

Gordon

Gordon Henderson

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

The local sheds don't have any, and neither does screwfix or BES -
although after searching google, I'm starting to think it's going to be
a proprietary product and only an original makers one (Pottertons web
site appeas to be offline, do they offer a spares srvice?)

Don't know if they can help, but these links were posted a few weeks
back and seem appropriate:

http://www.heatsparesdirect.co.uk/
http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk/

I found this company via google ads - something actually useful for
a change. The heatsparesdirect one has the same website designer
(crafty!) and is a pound cheaper...

http://www.curzoncare.co.uk/

They didn't have it.

thanks,

Gordon
Pete C

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:11:20 +0000 (UTC),
(Gordon Henderson) wrote:

In article , raden wrote:
In message , Gordon Henderson
writes
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea where to get one of these?

Have you looked in your local Yellow pages for "Central Heating
Merchants"?

Er.. That's a paper thing ... and I have this keyboard thing at the end
of my fingers and er ... paper?? :-)

Thanks to the suggestions so-far though. I did find a place online
eventually
http://www.mjtcontrols.co.uk/ who have the right part
(now that my friend has emailled me the right make & model) for
£42+vat.

It still seems really expensive for what it is though, so I'm going to
keep looking.

Hi,

This any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=0&item=3878350953& rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Or RS have flow switches from £15 up:

http://www.rswww.com

Should be easy to measure the minimum flow on the existing switch with
a bucket.

Also is the switch metal? If so a Dremel and JB Weld may sort it.

cheers,
Pete.
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
Hi,

This any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=0&item=3878350953& rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Alas no.

The contraint is that it needs to be the same size as the old one unless
I do a lot of additional work to make it fit )-: The upper pipe is a
elongated S shaped section with an acorn (?) fitting at the other end which
goes into the heat exchanger. Underneath it is a short section of pipe
into an isolator valve. The existing unit has push-fit connectors for
the copper pipes.

Or RS have flow switches from £15 up:

http://www.rswww.com

Should be easy to measure the minimum flow on the existing switch with
a bucket.

Also is the switch metal? If so a Dremel and JB Weld may sort it.

It's plastic body. We have implemented a temporary fix with superglue
and an extra O ring, but I'd really like to do it properly.

Incidentally (friends has just moved into house, and thus inherited someon
elses bodges), the acorn fitting was wound round with what looked like
string to make it seal! I took this off, cleaned it up and fitted the
right size O ring instead which appears to be working fine (the string
had obviously been leaking too as it was badly stained and crusted up
with scale...

I think I'll buy the proper bit and he's willing to pay the 40 quid for
it which is probably the best thing in the long-run.

I was just very surprised at how expensive they were for what it is!

I'm not overly impressed with the unit though - although it's the first
time I've ever had a good look at a "combi" boiler. (Potterton Lynx 2)
His mains-fed hot water flow rate isn't any better than mine which is
tanked if he wants it good and hot, although he appears to be in a hard
water area (Torquay) and there is scale inside the pipe fittings, so
who knows what inside the heat exchanger might look like now ...

Thanks,

Gordon
raden

In article , raden wrote:
In message , Gordon Henderson
writes
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea where to get one of these?

Have you looked in your local Yellow pages for "Central Heating
Merchants"?

Er.. That's a paper thing ... and I have this keyboard thing at the end
of my fingers and er ... paper?? :-)

Why limit your options

There could be one a couple of miles down the road and you could have
the part in 5 minutes

If you have such an aversion to paper, am I to assume that you use
virtual toilet roll ?

--
geoff
raden

In message , Pete C
writes

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...0&item=3878350
953&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Or RS have flow switches from £15 up:

http://www.rswww.com

Should be easy to measure the minimum flow on the existing switch with
a bucket.

Also is the switch metal? If so a Dremel and JB Weld may sort it.

You can't just chuck any flow switch in a boiler, it's normally an
in-line fitting and you're on dubious legal ground if it were to fail.

--
geoff