Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
Hi,

This any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=0&item=3878350953& rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Alas no.

The contraint is that it needs to be the same size as the old one unless
I do a lot of additional work to make it fit )-: The upper pipe is a
elongated S shaped section with an acorn (?) fitting at the other end which
goes into the heat exchanger. Underneath it is a short section of pipe
into an isolator valve. The existing unit has push-fit connectors for
the copper pipes.

Or RS have flow switches from £15 up:

http://www.rswww.com

Should be easy to measure the minimum flow on the existing switch with
a bucket.

Also is the switch metal? If so a Dremel and JB Weld may sort it.

It's plastic body. We have implemented a temporary fix with superglue
and an extra O ring, but I'd really like to do it properly.

Incidentally (friends has just moved into house, and thus inherited someon
elses bodges), the acorn fitting was wound round with what looked like
string to make it seal! I took this off, cleaned it up and fitted the
right size O ring instead which appears to be working fine (the string
had obviously been leaking too as it was badly stained and crusted up
with scale...

I think I'll buy the proper bit and he's willing to pay the 40 quid for
it which is probably the best thing in the long-run.

I was just very surprised at how expensive they were for what it is!

I'm not overly impressed with the unit though - although it's the first
time I've ever had a good look at a "combi" boiler. (Potterton Lynx 2)
His mains-fed hot water flow rate isn't any better than mine which is
tanked if he wants it good and hot, although he appears to be in a hard
water area (Torquay) and there is scale inside the pipe fittings, so
who knows what inside the heat exchanger might look like now ...

Thanks,

Gordon