Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Default Heating runnung costs

Does anyone know if it's cheaper to heat the whole house (3 bedroom semi)
with the gfch than it is to heat one room with a 2Kw electric heater and
another with a three-burner gas fire on full chuff?
I know there are a lot of variables - it's a seperate boiler, not a combi,
for example, but a rough idea would settle an argument with SWMBO

Si

Owain

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote
| Does anyone know if it's cheaper to heat the whole house
| (3 bedroom semi) with the gfch than it is to heat one
| room with a 2Kw electric heater and another with a
| three-burner gas fire on full chuff?
| I know there are a lot of variables - it's a seperate
| boiler, not a combi, for example, but a rough idea
| would settle an argument with SWMBO

Gas fires are usually inefficient compared to boilers.
Electric heaters are 100% efficient but electricity costs twice or three
times as much as gas.
There is usually better insulation between inside and outside than there is
between adjacent rooms, so there will be heat loss from room to room.
Individual heaters usually have poor control so the temperature will swing
wildly and there may be a temptation to over-heat to compensate. CH will
usually maintain a more even temp over time.

It is probably no more expensive, and considerably more comfortable, to use
the GCH, and possibly cheaper if you can use turn down the radiators in the
unused rooms a few degrees lower.

Of course, if *you* want to use the gas fire on full chuff I am sure we can
find some other arguments to support you.

OWain

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Owain wrote:

Of course, if *you* want to use the gas fire on full chuff I am sure
we can find some other arguments to support you.

I like that That's politics, that is.

It's me who feels that the central heating would be more economical but
unfortunately we haven't got TRVs at the moment. Must visit Toolstation...

Si

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Oh, and I forgot to say "thanks"!

And I typed "runnung". I blame the flu affecting my fingers.

Si

Doctor Evil

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote
| Does anyone know if it's cheaper to heat the whole house
| (3 bedroom semi) with the gfch than it is to heat one
| room with a 2Kw electric heater and another with a
| three-burner gas fire on full chuff?
| I know there are a lot of variables - it's a seperate
| boiler, not a combi, for example, but a rough idea
| would settle an argument with SWMBO

Gas fires are usually inefficient compared to boilers.
Electric heaters are 100% efficient but electricity costs twice or three
times as much as gas.

More like 4 times.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

James

"Owain" wrote in message
Gas fires are usually inefficient compared to boilers.
Electric heaters are 100% efficient but electricity costs twice or three
times as much as gas.

But the initial purchase cost of electric heaters is very low - assuming you
can use them without overloading your supply - whereas gas central heating
has a very high purchase cost -and possibly a significant maintenance bill.
If your usage is low electricity may be cheaper - particularly with "high
tech" central heating solutions becoming mandatory.

James

---

Doctor Evil

"James" wrote in message

"Owain" wrote in message
Gas fires are usually inefficient compared to boilers.
Electric heaters are 100% efficient but electricity costs twice or three
times as much as gas.

But the initial purchase cost of electric heaters is very low - assuming

you
can use them without overloading your supply - whereas gas central heating
has a very high purchase cost -and possibly a significant maintenance

bill.
If your usage is low electricity may be cheaper - particularly with "high
tech" central heating solutions becoming mandatory.

James

This is very true. You need to have a very well insulated and air-tight
house to justify electric heating though. What you would save in on
intallation cost will go some way to improving the insulation.

The point is that unless you can prove by energy bills, etc, electric
heating may make the house worth less and and very slow to sell. Electric
heating also costs nothing to service, just breakdown costs, so saving ~£100
per ann.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
The Natural Philosopher

James wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message

Gas fires are usually inefficient compared to boilers.
Electric heaters are 100% efficient but electricity costs twice or three
times as much as gas.

But the initial purchase cost of electric heaters is very low - assuming you
can use them without overloading your supply - whereas gas central heating
has a very high purchase cost -and possibly a significant maintenance bill.
If your usage is low electricity may be cheaper - particularly with "high
tech" central heating solutions becoming mandatory.

It may only cost you a500 wuid to install half a dozen storage heaters,
but the 600 quid a quaerter cost of them in winter soon pays for the
couple of grand a decent CH system costs to install.

Unless you are e,g,. only in the place for a year or two, it never pays
to install electric heating. Even if you are, its arguable that decent
CH will show a profit in terms of resale value anyway.

James

---

Owain

"James" wrote
| But the initial purchase cost of electric heaters is very
| low - assuming you can use them without overloading your
| supply - whereas gas central heating has a very high
| purchase cost -and possibly a significant maintenance bill.

The implication from the esteemed Mr Toadfoot is that there is a choice
between different existing methods of heating and so installation costs do
not enter into the equation.

Owain

Andrew Gabriel

Heating just one or two rooms also results in the unheated rooms
condensing out moisture from the heated rooms, and forming damp
moldy areas.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote
| Does anyone know if it's cheaper to heat the whole house
| (3 bedroom semi) with the gfch than it is to heat one
| room with a 2Kw electric heater and another with a
| three-burner gas fire on full chuff?
| I know there are a lot of variables - it's a seperate
| boiler, not a combi, for example, but a rough idea
| would settle an argument with SWMBO

Gas fires are usually inefficient compared to boilers.
Electric heaters are 100% efficient but electricity costs twice or three
times as much as gas.
There is usually better insulation between inside and outside than there
is
between adjacent rooms, so there will be heat loss from room to room.
Individual heaters usually have poor control so the temperature will swing
wildly and there may be a temptation to over-heat to compensate. CH will
usually maintain a more even temp over time.

It is probably no more expensive, and considerably more comfortable, to
use
the GCH, and possibly cheaper if you can use turn down the radiators in
the
unused rooms a few degrees lower.

Of course, if *you* want to use the gas fire on full chuff I am sure we
can
find some other arguments to support you.

:-)

I'm resisting radiators in our what used, quaintly, to be called reception
rooms - dining and sitting. The time wespend in those is intermittent and
we're sitting down when we're there so we'dneed higher temperatures than the
rest of the house. The thermostat is set at 10C currently and it's mostly
adequate for everywhere else.

The gas fires in those rooms can be put on as and when we want them - and
turned off when we leave the room. When I'm in the sitting room I'm usually
doing just that - sitting - and sewing or doing some other textile work and
like to be cosy with radiant heat. If radiators were putting out enough heat
to have the same effect it would send me to sleep as well as taking longer
to get to the right temperature.

Mary

OWain

John

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

SNIP

I'm resisting radiators in our what used, quaintly, to be called reception
rooms - dining and sitting. The time wespend in those is intermittent and
we're sitting down when we're there so we'dneed higher temperatures than
the rest of the house. The thermostat is set at 10C currently and it's
mostly adequate for everywhere else.

The gas fires in those rooms can be put on as and when we want them - and
turned off when we leave the room. When I'm in the sitting room I'm
usually doing just that - sitting - and sewing or doing some other textile
work and like to be cosy with radiant heat. If radiators were putting out
enough heat to have the same effect it would send me to sleep as well as
taking longer to get to the right temperature.

Mary

A classic example of the adage "You can please some of the people some of
the time ........." G

Mary Fisher

"John" wrote in message

[...]

Yes. When it comes to house heating I suspect I'm not part of the majority.
Most people's houses (and shops, offices and the like) are far too warm for
me.

I prefer to have the house comfortable for everyone - that means that if
they're cold they can put on another layer :-)

I can't take off much else ...

Mary

Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Mary Fisher wrote:

I can't take off much else ...

Rubber undies can be warm, I hear.

Si

Mary Fisher

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

I can't take off much else ...

Rubber undies can be warm, I hear.

Undies?

Now there's a novelty !

Red feathered hats stop a lot of heat loss ... ;-)

Mary

Si