lulu

Default Chimney question

Just had a new gas fire fitted, fitter advised getting a something-or-other
(forgot what he called it) put ontop of chimney to stop birds falling down
chimney...ummm where do I look to get someone to do this? do I need a
builder or what?

Thanks in advance

Lulu

Space_Cowby

"lulu" wrote in message
Just had a new gas fire fitted, fitter advised getting a
something-or-other
(forgot what he called it) put ontop of chimney to stop birds falling down
chimney...ummm where do I look to get someone to do this? do I need a
builder or what?

Thanks in advance

Lulu

You need a cowl. I would contact a few roofing firms. Should not be 2
expensive either

p00kie

"Space_Cowby" wrote in message
. uk...

"lulu" wrote in message
Just had a new gas fire fitted, fitter advised getting a
something-or-other
(forgot what he called it) put ontop of chimney to stop birds falling
down
chimney...ummm where do I look to get someone to do this? do I need a
builder or what?

Thanks in advance

Lulu

You need a cowl. I would contact a few roofing firms. Should not be 2
expensive either

Cost me £20 and well worth it after freeing a starling and then a pidgeon
.... pidgeon was worst as I was in tears as the hole was so small I thought
I'd break it's wings to get it out of there. In any event both birds
survived their traumas and flew away.
I certainly won't phone the RSPCA for any help or advice any more they're
less than useless!

Andrew Chesters

p00kie wrote:

Cost me £20 and well worth it after freeing a starling and then a pidgeon
... pidgeon was worst as I was in tears as the hole was so small I thought
I'd break it's wings to get it out of there. In any event both birds
survived their traumas and flew away.
I certainly won't phone the RSPCA for any help or advice any more they're
less than useless!

I've had a pigeon & a 'king rook in my chimney. You'd think they'd
understand that you were trying to help them? Oh no, both the b@stards
tried VERY hard to give me a good pecking. Why do they fall in
sometimes? I've not been up to cowl it, but noting down it for years.
Maybe they're learning?
Mike

"p00kie" wrote in message
. uk...
I certainly won't phone the RSPCA for any help or advice any more they're
less than useless!

Too busy helping vermin avoid hunters to help.

John

"lulu" wrote in message
Just had a new gas fire fitted, fitter advised getting a
something-or-other
(forgot what he called it) put ontop of chimney to stop birds falling down
chimney...ummm where do I look to get someone to do this? do I need a
builder or what?

Thanks in advance

Lulu

A Balloon cage for a chimney pot. About twenty quid from our builders
merchant. Fits by four sprung "legs" stuck into the top of the pot.
Then you need a roof ladder

Ed Sirett

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:11:43 +0000, Space_Cowby wrote:

"lulu" wrote in message
Just had a new gas fire fitted, fitter advised getting a
something-or-other
(forgot what he called it) put ontop of chimney to stop birds falling down
chimney...ummm where do I look to get someone to do this? do I need a
builder or what?

Thanks in advance

Lulu

You need a cowl. I would contact a few roofing firms. Should not be 2
expensive either

It will have to be a cowl approved for use with gas appliances - that'll
be around £60. Plus fitting which is basically turning up and gaining
access.

Unused Chimney Question mike Home Repair 6 December 16th 04 01:15 AM
Addtional Cooker Chimney Needed Charlie UK diy 3 November 24th 04 01:52 PM
Capping chimney Conrad Edwards UK diy 5 August 10th 04 07:30 PM
[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM
Chimney cap question DJA Home Repair 1 August 8th 03 10:35 AM