Conrad Edwards

Default Capping chimney

In this weeks deluge of rain I can hear water dripping down my chimney
(the rain seems to be coming vertically down here) and a couple of damp
spots have appeared on the wall in an upstairs bedroom where a chimney
breast used to be. The chimney breast is sealed off now with an air vent
included. The air vent is just above the damp spots.

Would capping the chimney off be the best bet seeing as the chimney
isn't used?
Would a roofer or general builder be best for this job (I may also need
the flashing round the roof base of a chimney done too).
What sort of price should I be looking to pay for two chimneys to be
capped in Bradford?
Conrad Edwards

Conrad Edwards wrote:

In this weeks deluge of rain I can hear water dripping down my chimney
(the rain seems to be coming vertically down here) and a couple of damp
spots have appeared on the wall in an upstairs bedroom where a chimney
breast used to be. The chimney breast is sealed off now with an air vent
included. The air vent is just above the damp spots.

Would capping the chimney off be the best bet seeing as the chimney
isn't used?
Would a roofer or general builder be best for this job (I may also need
the flashing round the roof base of a chimney done too).
What sort of price should I be looking to pay for two chimneys to be
capped in Bradford?

Forgot to say it's an end terrace, one chimney on the roof apex along
the partition wall, the other chimney at the edge of the roof.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Conrad Edwards writes:
In this weeks deluge of rain I can hear water dripping down my chimney
(the rain seems to be coming vertically down here) and a couple of damp
spots have appeared on the wall in an upstairs bedroom where a chimney
breast used to be. The chimney breast is sealed off now with an air vent
included. The air vent is just above the damp spots.

Would capping the chimney off be the best bet seeing as the chimney
isn't used?

One comment I would make is if it is capped off, make sure it is
ventilated near the top too. This wasn't done with one of mine, and
20 years later I had a dripping wet flue from condensation which
has got in, but can't get out. Properly ventilating it at the top
so there is a draft up the chimney has dried it out over many months.
I did this in the loft, by taking a half brick out of the stack.
(Also changed the bottom ventilation to be to the outside rather than
sucking air out of the room.)

Would a roofer or general builder be best for this job (I may also need
the flashing round the roof base of a chimney done too).
What sort of price should I be looking to pay for two chimneys to be
capped in Bradford?

20 years ago, it cost me £80 including repointing the chiney
(which would have been more accurately described as rebuilding
the chimney, as the chap took it mostly to pieces first). That
was someone who was happy to walk around on my roof with no
scaffolding or anything, which they might not do nowadays. It
was a day's work, and chimney is still fine today.

--
Andrew Gabriel
P.R.Brady

Conrad Edwards wrote:
In this weeks deluge of rain I can hear water dripping down my chimney
(the rain seems to be coming vertically down here) and a couple of damp
spots have appeared on the wall in an upstairs bedroom where a chimney
breast used to be. The chimney breast is sealed off now with an air vent
included. The air vent is just above the damp spots.

Would capping the chimney off be the best bet seeing as the chimney
isn't used?
Would a roofer or general builder be best for this job (I may also need
the flashing round the roof base of a chimney done too).
What sort of price should I be looking to pay for two chimneys to be
capped in Bradford?

If the top of your pot is level rather than one of those exotic ones
with spikey tops you could ask for an 'eliphant's foot' - a porcelain
dome with holes underneath. Works great and very easy to fit.
Phil

fred

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Conrad Edwards writes:
Would capping the chimney off be the best bet seeing as the chimney
isn't used?

One comment I would make is if it is capped off, make sure it is
ventilated near the top too. This wasn't done with one of mine, and
20 years later I had a dripping wet flue from condensation which
has got in, but can't get out. Properly ventilating it at the top
so there is a draft up the chimney has dried it out over many months.
I did this in the loft, by taking a half brick out of the stack.
(Also changed the bottom ventilation to be to the outside rather than
sucking air out of the room.)

I was looking at a similar situation recently and wondered whether two
vents to the outside (high and low) would make much of a draught as they
will be at the same temperature. Much as I didn't want to lose all the warm
room air up the flue I suggested a small vent in the room to get airflow from
the chimney effect.
--
fred

G&M

"Conrad Edwards" wrote in message
In this weeks deluge of rain I can hear water dripping down my chimney
(the rain seems to be coming vertically down here) and a couple of damp
spots have appeared on the wall in an upstairs bedroom where a chimney
breast used to be. The chimney breast is sealed off now with an air vent
included. The air vent is just above the damp spots.

Get the type of chimney cap with ventilation holes around the periphery.
They are available to match most existing chimney pots if that is an issue.

[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM
Chimney cap question Susan Home Repair 8 July 29th 03 08:20 PM
'Capping' off a chimney and removing Fireplace Art Begun Home Repair 3 July 13th 03 06:59 PM