Lobster

Default Suitable lock for a side gate

I'm about to fit a new side gate, between two brick walls at the side of
the house. What would be a suitable way of locking this?

The purpose of the gate is as much to do with dissuading the local kids
from using the garden as a public right of way to and from the parkland
which it backs on to, as it is to do with preventing burglars getting
in... therefore bolts on the rear side are no good, and nor is a night
latch (as the little sods go both ways!). I don't want a padlock for
aesthetic reasons, so was leaning towards a rim lock (eg
http://tinyurl.com/7xgjj). But I'm concerned about this being exposed
to the elements all the year round, as mine will be? Is there a better
type of lock I could use, that I'm missing?

Thanks
David
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:30:16 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Is there a better
type of lock I could use, that I'm missing?

For light use, there are hasp and staple locks where the staple has a
lock built into it. No loose bits to lose.
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:30:16 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Is there a better type of lock I could use, that I'm missing?

A quality mortise lock? or doesn't this gate have enough timber in the
edge to take one? Fit keyhole covers to stop rain/snow blowing
directly into the works and it should last. Might even be tempted to
give the outside a light wipe with an oily/greasey rag on fitting.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Lobster

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:30:16 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Is there a better type of lock I could use, that I'm missing?

A quality mortise lock? or doesn't this gate have enough timber in the
edge to take one? Fit keyhole covers to stop rain/snow blowing
directly into the works and it should last. Might even be tempted to
give the outside a light wipe with an oily/greasey rag on fitting.

No, it's a simple slatted gate with a Z-arrangement of supports on the
back, certainly no room for a mortise lock, unless I fix a large lump of
4x2 to the back (which I suppose might be an option!).

Don't think I've ever seen a rim lock with keyhole covers (which implies
they are not intended for exterior use I spose)

David

Lobster

wrote:

Is there a better
type of lock I could use, that I'm missing?

For light use, there are hasp and staple locks where the staple has a
lock built into it. No loose bits to lose.

Thanks, I know the ones you mean; however, thinking about this, another
criterion is unfortunately that the gate needs to be lockable/unlockable
from both sides!

David

Bob Eager

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:34:18 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

Thanks, I know the ones you mean; however, thinking about this, another
criterion is unfortunately that the gate needs to be lockable/unlockable
from both sides!

I've used a rim lock (cheap one) on our side gate for years. It did need
a bit of lubrication after 3 or 4 years. But it was only a cheap one, so
the cost per year for a new one wouldn't have been that great.

One other point - in my case the 'kids' managed to get boards off the
gate and climbed through the holes (they were nalied to the Z-strips). I
screwed it all together with security screws...

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
nightjar

"Lobster" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:30:16 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Is there a better type of lock I could use, that I'm missing?

A quality mortise lock? or doesn't this gate have enough timber in the
edge to take one? Fit keyhole covers to stop rain/snow blowing directly
into the works and it should last. Might even be tempted to give the
outside a light wipe with an oily/greasey rag on fitting.

No, it's a simple slatted gate with a Z-arrangement of supports on the
back, certainly no room for a mortise lock, unless I fix a large lump of
4x2 to the back (which I suppose might be an option!).

Having had to fit a gate for a similar reason, I rather doubt a gate that
light will last long. The intruders will climb it and will also try to
destroy it. Eventually, I fitted a close boarded, framed, ledged and braced
gate with prickler strips on top. Whatever the aesthetics, I also recommend
a padlock and padlockable bolt at the top. (I simply reach over the gate to
undo the padlock if I'm on the wrong side) It is a lot easier to cut a
superglued padlock off with an angle grinder than it is to remove a
superglued mortice lock, or, assuming you have used security screws (the
lock will go missing if you don't) rim lock.

Colin Bignell

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:32:04 GMT, Lobster wrote:

Don't think I've ever seen a rim lock with keyhole covers (which
implies they are not intended for exterior use I spose)

I don't think any lock is really designed for exterior use, well not
without paying a fortune for it.

You can probably engineer a cover for the lock side from a copper disc
(ex HW cylinder or flattened bit of tube) and a small (8BA?) brass nut
and bolt. Or maybe take the swingy bit from an ordinary cover that
you'll need for the otherside anyway.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mike

"Lobster" wrote in message
I'm about to fit a new side gate, between two brick walls at the side of
the house. What would be a suitable way of locking this?

The purpose of the gate is as much to do with dissuading the local kids
from using the garden as a public right of way to and from the parkland
which it backs on to, as it is to do with preventing burglars getting
in... therefore bolts on the rear side are no good, and nor is a night
latch (as the little sods go both ways!). I don't want a padlock for
aesthetic reasons, so was leaning towards a rim lock (eg
http://tinyurl.com/7xgjj). But I'm concerned about this being exposed
to the elements all the year round, as mine will be? Is there a better
type of lock I could use, that I'm missing?

An electrified one with the switch inside ?

Malcolm Race

Lobster wrote:
I'm about to fit a new side gate, between two brick walls at the side of
the house. What would be a suitable way of locking this?

The purpose of the gate is as much to do with dissuading the local kids
from using the garden as a public right of way to and from the parkland
which it backs on to, as it is to do with preventing burglars getting
in... therefore bolts on the rear side are no good, and nor is a night
latch (as the little sods go both ways!). I don't want a padlock for
aesthetic reasons, so was leaning towards a rim lock (eg
http://tinyurl.com/7xgjj). But I'm concerned about this being exposed
to the elements all the year round, as mine will be? Is there a better
type of lock I could use, that I'm missing?

Thanks
David

Not done it in the same situation but I built a ledged & braced gate
using .75inch T&G and then used an offcut of the ledging (3inch by
1inch) and excavated it to gouse a mortice lock. This was then fitted
to the gate with coach bolts. It has been outside for 4 years with no
access problems so far.

Malcolm

OG

"Lobster" wrote in message
I'm about to fit a new side gate, between two brick walls at the side

of
the house. What would be a suitable way of locking this?

The purpose of the gate is as much to do with dissuading the local

kids
from using the garden as a public right of way to and from the

parkland
which it backs on to, as it is to do with preventing burglars

getting
in... therefore bolts on the rear side are no good, and nor is a night
latch (as the little sods go both ways!). I don't want a padlock for
aesthetic reasons, so was leaning towards a rim lock (eg
http://tinyurl.com/7xgjj). But I'm concerned about this being exposed
to the elements all the year round, as mine will be? Is there a

better
type of lock I could use, that I'm missing?

My brother in Liverpool has a Yale cylinder deadlock on his garden gate
which has survived outdoors for over 10 years.

Andrew Chesters

OG wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

[...]

He's still got a gate after 10 years? (1/2 Scouse! Please don't shoot!)

On Topic... Just fitted a 2nd hand Chubb to a gate for a friend, hadn't
thought of the superglue problem mentioned above, but they are pretty
waterproof.
OG

"Andrew Chesters" wrote in
message ...
OG wrote:

My brother in Liverpool has a Yale cylinder deadlock on his garden

gate
which has survived outdoors for over 10 years.

He's still got a gate after 10 years? (1/2 Scouse! Please don't

shoot!)

He's been broken into 4 times in 15 years - yes it's distressing but
it's only been videos and hi-fis and bicycles. Now his whole house is
going to be compulsory purchased and torn down - a much more distressing
prospect given the amount of work that he's put into his home and garden
over the period.

You ask him which is more upsetting!

Broadback

OG wrote:

"Andrew Chesters" wrote in
message ...

OG wrote:

My brother in Liverpool has a Yale cylinder deadlock on his garden

gate

which has survived outdoors for over 10 years.

He's still got a gate after 10 years? (1/2 Scouse! Please don't

shoot!)

He's been broken into 4 times in 15 years - yes it's distressing but
it's only been videos and hi-fis and bicycles. Now his whole house is
going to be compulsory purchased and torn down - a much more distressing
prospect given the amount of work that he's put into his home and garden
over the period.

You ask him which is more upsetting!

On topic:
Lobster I have used a very similar, if not same lock as you show for my
gate, that is still fine after nearly 4 years.

Off topic:
Og, it may be too late but a local chap was faced with the same problem,
and offered a derisory amount from the local authority. He went to an
estate agent who "sold" the house for him to the same authority for a
fair price. Worth a try.
Douglas

Lobster wrote in message ...
I'm about to fit a new side gate, between two brick walls at the side of
the house.... was leaning towards a rim lock (eg
http://tinyurl.com/7xgjj). But I'm concerned about this being exposed
to the elements all the year round, as mine will be?

I've had one of those (rim locks) on our back gate for 5 years. Still
works fine.
Whenever I think of it (perhaps 3 times in 5 years) I give the whole
thing a spray with WD-40 to keep the rust down.

I've been meaning to staple a flap of inner-tube over it as rain
protection, but haven't had need to replace an inner-tube during the
time it has been in place...

Douglas

apply laminate to rough or smooth side of masonite ? ? ? [email protected] Woodworking 1 February 5th 05 06:12 PM
d-i-y sliding steel double gate T i m UK diy 20 April 29th 04 03:11 PM
Installing Lexan in lieu of glass in a window KublaiKhan Home Repair 16 March 16th 04 03:04 PM
Lock terminology JimM UK diy 8 January 5th 04 12:00 AM
Trouble finding replacement internal door lock Joe Woods UK diy 7 October 15th 03 04:23 PM