JimM

Default Lock terminology

I need to replace the Euro sash lock on my front door, the latch part has
long since given up the ghost and the actual lock buggered up on Monday
resulting in a visit from the locksmith to get me back in.

Looking on Screwfix they have various sorts but I'm a bit stumped with the
terminology eg with this one

How are the backset (60mm) and the center (72mm) measured.

The knackered lock is not very deep, only 50mm from faceplate to back of
lock, if I was to get one that was deeper would the holes for handles and
cylinder still be in the right place

Cheers

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying

Mark S.

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:31:43 -0000, "JimM" wrote:

I need to replace the Euro sash lock on my front door, the latch part has
long since given up the ghost and the actual lock buggered up on Monday
resulting in a visit from the locksmith to get me back in.

Looking on Screwfix they have various sorts but I'm a bit stumped with the
terminology eg with this one

How are the backset (60mm) and the center (72mm) measured.

The knackered lock is not very deep, only 50mm from faceplate to back of
lock, if I was to get one that was deeper would the holes for handles and
cylinder still be in the right place

Cheers

Jim

I had a bugger of a job changing my locks before I eventually had all
the doors/windows replaced. Ended up with the lock cylinder sticking
out of the doorlock inside by a few mm.

The descriptions are a bit confusing and the order the lot approach
doesn't work either. ;-)

Mark S.

Michael McNeil

The cartidge fits flush with the handles so it's the width of the door +
the handles; which are something like 1/4" extra each side.

Be careful that the rest of it still has the seating thingummies if they
had them originally. I once had a contract to fit some and the stuff
supplied had these little plastic inserts each side for the cartridge to
sit on. Needless to say they were sons of bitches that kept falling
off and therefore got ditched.

It made the whole lock a piece of crap. If you have to replace the whole
thing check you haven't got that type.

I've just been fitting a set of locks for a cowboy builder (Bradley
Homes in Stoke on Trent.) He supplied the cheap £5 mortice locks and the
spring from the tumblers become unseated very easily. If you have cheap
shabby locks get rid of them before they lock you out.

How much did the locksmith charge.

JimM

Michael, which measurement is the width of the door plus handles ? Is it a
problem if the lock sticks out past the handles, apart from looking untidy ?

Locksmith charged £60, this was minimum charge (he let me off the VAT for
cash) and he was there for about 20 mins (Surrey)
This was actually the cheapest I was quoted but it was the 8th guy I rang
up, 6 couldn't get out to me and 1 said he could then rang up an hour later
after changing his mind !

--
"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
news:207f2cef17be9652f2380345a66771b8.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
The cartidge fits flush with the handles so it's the width of the door +
the handles; which are something like 1/4" extra each side.

Be careful that the rest of it still has the seating thingummies if they
had them originally. I once had a contract to fit some and the stuff
supplied had these little plastic inserts each side for the cartridge to
sit on. Needless to say they were sons of bitches that kept falling
off and therefore got ditched.

It made the whole lock a piece of crap. If you have to replace the whole
thing check you haven't got that type.

I've just been fitting a set of locks for a cowboy builder (Bradley
Homes in Stoke on Trent.) He supplied the cheap £5 mortice locks and the
spring from the tumblers become unseated very easily. If you have cheap
shabby locks get rid of them before they lock you out.

How much did the locksmith charge.

Michael McNeil

"JimM" wrote in message

Michael, which measurement is the width of the door plus handles ? Is it a
problem if the lock sticks out past the handles, apart from looking untidy ?

Locksmith charged £60, this was minimum charge (he let me off the VAT for
cash) and he was there for about 20 mins (Surrey)
This was actually the cheapest I was quoted but it was the 8th guy I rang
up, 6 couldn't get out to me and 1 said he could then rang up an hour later
after changing his mind !

My front door is 45 mm thick the handles are about 11 mm where they
house the lock so thats about 67 and there is a slight prominence to the
keyholes -that makes it 70mm. There was a door on a cottage in Wales a
friend had that stuck about an inch or more into the room. I'm surprised
she never complained when they fitted the new door as the house was very
small.

I wonder if they told her it was a hangar for wet coats and umbrellas
rather than drive all the way to civilization for a replacement.

It worked OK though. You drop the cartridge by unscrewing the bolt in
the faceplate of the lock. Its a phillips that runs into the bottom of
the barrel. Hope I haven't lost you there. They are dead easy to work on
once you have seen one in pieces. It's just that one bloody set that put
me off them. I don't know what make they were.

Here is how to take your door off if the worst ever comes to the worst
again:

Tap the pins out of the hinges with a 4" nail. If they are cheapo hinges
then you might have to get thin masonry nails or similar. Keep one handy
there's a good boy.

Put a support under the door and a couple of thin wedges in the hinge
side to force the door away from them.

Get someone to tap the door in to you from the outside. Do this gently
to stop the door getting damaged by the halves of the hinges left in the
door.

Alternatively, bend the hinges out of the way. It might be the devil of
a job to put them back anyway, so get a set of new ones.

I don't know how you'd get on with one of those fancy modern ones. Mine
are drop fit types so I'd have to grind mine away. And even then it has
bolts all over it like an hedgehog, so the locksmith would be busy.

Ron Ireland

" The cartidge fits flush with the handles so it's the width of the door +
the handles; which are something like 1/4" extra each side

I've always called them 'cylinders' never heard the expression 'cartridge
before.
As long as you have either a key or a thumbturn on the inside it's dead easy
to change them, it's when you have neither that a wee bit know how comes
into it's own.

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 14:06:59 -0000, "Ron Ireland"
wrote:

I've always called them 'cylinders' never heard the expression 'cartridge
before.

"Cylinders" rotate. "Cartridges" are found on Euro-style (and the
variants) where there's a cylinder and a non-rotating piece around it,
both of which are easily swappable as a unit.

Sump Plug

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:31:43 -0000, "JimM" wrote:

I need to replace the Euro sash lock on my front door, the latch part has
long since given up the ghost and the actual lock buggered up on Monday
resulting in a visit from the locksmith to get me back in.

Looking on Screwfix they have various sorts but I'm a bit stumped with the
terminology eg with this one

How are the backset (60mm) and the center (72mm) measured.

backset = front of lock to centre of handle spindle hole or lock
cylinder hole (both are same distance from front of lock)
I think the centres they are referring to = distance from centre of
lock cylinder hole to handle spindle hole
The lock you have linked to is a european style lock which is probably
not suitable for you.

The knackered lock is not very deep, only 50mm from faceplate to back of
lock, if I was to get one that was deeper would the holes for handles and
cylinder still be in the right place

No, the backset is the important measurement, that is the measurement
that determines how far away from the edge of the door the handles
are.
From your measurements you have what is broadly known as a "narrow
stile" mortice lock.
You might need to go to a locksmiths shop to get the right lock, the
cylinders are normally sold seperately from the lockcase.
The lock cylinders come in different lengths to suit the width of your
door.
Is your door wood, metal, plastic?

regards

chris

Cheers

Jim

-- Can't think of good sig at present.....maybe later --
JimM

Thanks to all for the response. I trawled round the various local sheds and
lock shops but they were either closed or didn't have anything to suit. A
bit more searching on the net and yes, I do have a narrow mortice lock so
ordered one from these people

www.locksonline.co.uk (they actually have quite an informative and helpful
website)

Couldn't be bothered to hunt around anymore and even with delivery probably
won't work out any more expensive than going to a shop.

Cheers

Jim

--
"Sump Plug" wrote in message
[...]

From your measurements you have what is broadly known as a "narrow

fitting new door lock Joe Woods UK diy 5 October 21st 03 08:40 PM
Changing a Euro cylinder lock in UPVC door Lobster UK diy 8 October 20th 03 08:01 PM
Trouble finding replacement internal door lock Joe Woods UK diy 7 October 15th 03 04:23 PM