JimM

Default Lock terminology

Michael, which measurement is the width of the door plus handles ? Is it a
problem if the lock sticks out past the handles, apart from looking untidy ?

Locksmith charged £60, this was minimum charge (he let me off the VAT for
cash) and he was there for about 20 mins (Surrey)
This was actually the cheapest I was quoted but it was the 8th guy I rang
up, 6 couldn't get out to me and 1 said he could then rang up an hour later
after changing his mind !

--
Remove BRAIN before replying
"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
news:207f2cef17be9652f2380345a66771b8.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
The cartidge fits flush with the handles so it's the width of the door +
the handles; which are something like 1/4" extra each side.

Be careful that the rest of it still has the seating thingummies if they
had them originally. I once had a contract to fit some and the stuff
supplied had these little plastic inserts each side for the cartridge to
sit on. Needless to say they were sons of bitches that kept falling
off and therefore got ditched.

It made the whole lock a piece of crap. If you have to replace the whole
thing check you haven't got that type.

I've just been fitting a set of locks for a cowboy builder (Bradley
Homes in Stoke on Trent.) He supplied the cheap £5 mortice locks and the
spring from the tumblers become unseated very easily. If you have cheap
shabby locks get rid of them before they lock you out.

How much did the locksmith charge.