Default apply laminate to rough or smooth side of masonite ? ? ?

wreckites -

am making a window trim "L" assembly for 30" window side jambs of 3/4"
white melamine with 1/8" oak edging; it is rabbeted to receive a 1/4"
masonite/hardboard stuff for the jambs, to be 'weldwooded' (tm) (along
with edge of 3/4" melamine where rabbeted) with white melamine...

said assembly to be embedded in the existing window opening with (no
doubt) too many overly-large globs of caulk/adhesive, that will make a
plumb fit difficult, ooze out all over everything you didn't clear out
of the way because you knew you were going to be careful (not like
that last time), and still -after kicking your own ass around for a
half hour- come to the conclusion that you'll have to rip it out and
do it right the second time...

back to the mattter at paw...

the particular scrap of hardboard i have, has a rough side and an
ultra smooth side... which side would be more appropriate as the
outer surface to receive the melamine ? ? ? i *thought* that i would
want the smooth/hard surface on the inside to resist any potential
moisture infiltration, but didn't know if the rough side would adhere
well enough...

thanks for random opinions, explanations of how it was done back in
the day, stories of how a rogue piece of laminate once decapitated the
second cousin of a friend's father's co-worker, and cranky,
over-sensitive inertnet posters who delight in saying 'you could
g-g-g-google it, you stupid, lazy, newbie scum'...

....oh, if you could help me out with the question, that would be nice
too... hhh

charleyy

eof

Slowhand

If it were me, I'd apply it to the smooth side. I assume you are using
contact cement and the more surface area that is available, the better the
contact. At least that is my theory.
SH

wrote in message

[...]

Does MDF Move? James \Cubby\ Culbertson Woodworking 24 December 30th 04 11:53 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Kitchen worktop laminate finishes - smooth vs textured? Mick Patrick UK diy 2 February 16th 04 02:06 PM
which side, again? brocpuffs Woodworking 12 February 10th 04 06:47 AM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 04:08 AM