OG

"Lobster" wrote in message
I'm about to fit a new side gate, between two brick walls at the side

of
the house. What would be a suitable way of locking this?

The purpose of the gate is as much to do with dissuading the local

kids
from using the garden as a public right of way to and from the

parkland
which it backs on to, as it is to do with preventing burglars

getting
in... therefore bolts on the rear side are no good, and nor is a night
latch (as the little sods go both ways!). I don't want a padlock for
aesthetic reasons, so was leaning towards a rim lock (eg
http://tinyurl.com/7xgjj). But I'm concerned about this being exposed
to the elements all the year round, as mine will be? Is there a

better
type of lock I could use, that I'm missing?

My brother in Liverpool has a Yale cylinder deadlock on his garden gate
which has survived outdoors for over 10 years.