Default Replacement doors for kitchen units

I can't afford a new fitted kitchen. So I have been thinking about an
el cheapo option -- replacement doors for the units. I could even
conceivably buy these second hand, maybe from some rich toff who has
updated their kitchen with new units.

Anyone been down this road? Any gotchas to look for -- all my units
seem to be 300mm wide or multiples of. The only potential problem I can
see is hanging the doors so they close smoothly.

Bruce

AFAIK, the likes of B&Q and MFI will sell you just the doors if you
ask.

Thanks, I'll check this option.

One thing to look out for is that the hinge holes are in the same
places..I dunno if these are standard or not.

Do all units come in standard sizes? Are all worktops a standard height
off the floor and overhead units have doors of standard size?

Bruce

The hinge holes will probably not be in the right place. In which

case,
it's preferable to use the pre-drilled hinge holes in the new doors,

and
make new holes in your units for the hinges.

Why do you think closing smoothly would be a problem?

Previous experience of MFI flat-pack wardrobes and the like. Fitting
and aligning the doors sometimes takes a bit of experimentation.
Same with the drawers, they tend to sag after a bit -- probably because
its cheap stuff.

Bruce

John

The hinge holes will probably not be in the right place. In which

case,
it's preferable to use the pre-drilled hinge holes in the new doors,

and
make new holes in your units for the hinges.

Why do you think closing smoothly would be a problem?

Previous experience of MFI flat-pack wardrobes and the like. Fitting
and aligning the doors sometimes takes a bit of experimentation.
Same with the drawers, they tend to sag after a bit -- probably because
its cheap stuff.

Bruce

It isn't the doors that sag - it is the hinges that get loose or worn.
Likewise drawer runners can wear - worth lubricating the rollers

Gel

Or there are companies that come & fit new doors/cover carcass areas
with matchinh laminate.
Post back if you need link; know good one that operates South of England

ime the hinges just need readjusting when things stop lining up. Its
not difficult.

NT

Tony Bryer

In article , Grunff wrote:
You can buy doors from B&Q, and probably some of the other sheds.
300mm and 600mm are common widths,

B&Q do 300, 400, 500 and 600mm doors in full height and door+drawer
versions. They also sell separately compatible hinges in regular
and 170 degree versions.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Gel wrote:
Or there are companies that come & fit new doors/cover carcass areas
with matchinh laminate.
Post back if you need link; know good one that operates South of

England

Where exactly? France?

Petrol in Diesel Engine MartinC UK diy 120 September 5th 05 10:41 PM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Replacement Patio Doors ClaudCar Home Repair 2 October 9th 04 02:26 AM
Replacement rails for sliding patio doors Steve Wilson UK diy 4 May 8th 04 06:30 PM
Replacement Kitchen Doors Gaz UK diy 6 January 21st 04 06:27 PM