Chris Holmes

Default Trailer Fridge Box ((Cheap) Alternatives to)

I am thinking of getting a fridge box to go on the front of my
trailer. For the uninitiated this consists of a small metal cofin
shaped box approx 4' wide, 2' deep and 2' high with a GRP lid which
can be bolted onto the (extended) A frame on the front of a trailer
tent or small trailer in order to put a camping fridge and other bits
and pieces in.

The manufacturers of said (very pretty) items want approx 180 notes
for such items, so i'm wondering if anyone can think of something (a
little narrower would be fine)similar which would do the job just as
well and ideally be available second hand (The original items are vary
rarely sold second hand without there's an ecpensive trailer tent
attached)

It don't have to be fantastically pretty, nor fantastically secure.
But does have to be sufficently butch for the job without requireing
me to fit extra strong springs on the car.

The only thought I have at the mo is some kind of steel tool store
type box, but it might be a bit heavy and pricey.

Please don't suggest building things out of wod or metal, as I don't
the necessary time at the mo (though i'm quite happy to assemble
something and or bolt it on).

TIA & Chow

Chris - Two Sheds and one Shed like Wendy House - Holmes
BigWallop

"Chris Holmes" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Is it this type of thing you're after Chris ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tjobrie...ridgeRange.htm

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Chris Holmes

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...

Is it this type of thing you're after Chris ?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tjobrie...ridgeRange.htm

No, sorry. I obviously didn't make myself clear. I already have the
fridge (Visualise a very small chest freezer approx 24" wide x 18"
deep x 18" high)

What I want is a strong(ish) box with a lid which I can bolt to the
front of the trailer chassis and (gently) drop the fridge and some
other stuff into. It will prolly need some weatherproof ventilation
so that col air can get to the bottom of the fridge (which would be
running off 12V) and hot air out of the top.

As there has been (surprisingly) little response here, i'll try a
caravanning group as well.

One suggestion i've had from a friend who suffers from "Land Rover
Disease" is a Military Surplus Ammo box, but I haven't been able to
find mention of a sufficiently large one on the web.

The boxes designed for the job are as I said very pretty, and also
rather large both for the size of trailer I have (would be wider than
the main body, but not wider than the wheels) and bigger than I need
(Though i'm sure I could soon find some more junk to take camping!)
in2minds

"so i'm wondering if anyone can think of something (a little narrower would be
fine)similar which would do the job just as well and ideally be available second hand "
[..]

a 3 draw office cabinet ??
lose the draws and you have a box container just need a lid, if it's too small you could
use another for the lid to increase the height.

LJ

Chris Holmes

"in2minds" wrote in message ...
"so i'm wondering if anyone can think of something (a little narrower would be
fine)similar which would do the job just as well and ideally be available second hand "
[..]

a 3 draw office cabinet ??
lose the draws and you have a box container just need a lid, if it's too small you could
use another for the lid to increase the height.

I'm sure I did start to think that way, but I was thinking 2 drawer 3
drawer is prolly a better shape.

I think I saw a rather sad one here the other day I shall go for a
prowl round the site.

BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote in message

[...]

Ah Ha !!!! With you now. Try contacting Fred :

http://www.better-boxes.com/

He supplies us with storage lockers and strong boxes and things. Very
friendly and helpful, and also does second hand boxes and things for very
cheap prices. Worth tellign them what you want to see if they can help.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Chris Holmes

(Chris Holmes) wrote in message . com...
I think I saw a rather sad one (Filing Cabinet) here the other day I shall go for a prowl round the site.

Turned out to be a 4 drawer and it would have taken quite a lot of
modifying to do the job. I have managed to find a second hand unit
for £90, which I think i'll probably go for,However, for those who
come Google-ing after, and don't want to spend the money that conway,
sunncamp,cabanon etc charge for their new units I did discover the
following on an old Conway forum.....

stevehardy
Unregistered User
(2/21/02 8:46 pm)
Reply Fridge box
If anyone wants a real cheap fridge box give Wheelhouse a ring ,they
are a company in hounslow and they have contico tuff boxes going at
about £20.00 they donnt do mail order though phone number is 02085
703501 It measures 37"x21"x20"

Ian
Unregistered User
(2/27/02 10:06 pm)
Reply Front box
Further to previous posts I used a Contico Tuff Crate which cost c
£20. Haven't seen them in ANY of the DIY multiples lately, but as a
Mgr of one of the larger DIY outlets I have to say that this is the
type of thing we get in from time to time as a "Special Purchase" -
rather than a regular all year round stock line. Contico are based in
Cornwall, tel 01209 315222/fax 01209 313297 & I am sure would advise
of stockists in your locality.
I mounted mine on a Dexion (imagine large meccano) frame which
attaches to trailer front and drawbar with three bolts - stays rock
steady, but on arrival at site detaches inside of 5 mins so I can
refit jockey wheel to aid manoeuvering of fully laden outfit.
Chris Holmes

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...
Ah Ha !!!! With you now. Try contacting Fred :

http://www.better-boxes.com/

He supplies us with storage lockers and strong boxes and things. Very
friendly and helpful, and also does second hand boxes and things for very
cheap prices. Worth tellign them what you want to see if they can help.

I mailed Fred, but he mailed back and said it wasn't really what they
do. Could be I approached him wrong and he didn't want to get
involved with one box for a "retail" customer, or maybe he's afraid of
selling something not designed for the job in case the Police or H&S
should come knocking some day.

Or maybe he doesn't have anything suitable.

Thanks for the link anyway, if you've had good service from him in the
past it may be worth a faq recommendation as we're always getting
people asking about crates to buy/hire.
BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote in message

Ah Ha !!!! With you now. Try contacting Fred :

http://www.better-boxes.com/

He supplies us with storage lockers and strong boxes and things. Very
friendly and helpful, and also does second hand boxes and things for

very
cheap prices. Worth tellign them what you want to see if they can help.

I mailed Fred, but he mailed back and said it wasn't really what they
do. Could be I approached him wrong and he didn't want to get
involved with one box for a "retail" customer, or maybe he's afraid of
selling something not designed for the job in case the Police or H&S
should come knocking some day.

Or maybe he doesn't have anything suitable.

Thanks for the link anyway, if you've had good service from him in the
past it may be worth a faq recommendation as we're always getting
people asking about crates to buy/hire.

It's more than likely they don't have anything for this type of use Chris,
because they usually give some sort of alternatives to certain needs and
wants. I read your reply further up the thread and believe you've found
something suitable (?) so good luck with it.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Problem with Fridge Freezer [email protected] UK diy 1 July 29th 03 09:23 PM
Cheap Compressors Mark Spice UK diy 13 July 28th 03 02:07 AM
OT - Unbraked trailer safety requirements *Secondary Couplings* Richard Savage UK diy 0 July 19th 03 02:12 PM
OT - Unbraked trailer safety requirements Danny Monaghan UK diy 0 July 18th 03 01:16 PM